Best Aerobatic Team?

Best Aerobatic Team

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once saw a film of a couple of A4's from the NZ airforce. They did a display with one of them carrying a buddy refueling sytem and the other was plugged into it during the whole display.
I don't know if it was a formal display team but it was pretty impressive.

The aero demostration team that Claire Chenault was in used to do that as well, chaining the aircraft together...

It was quite common between the wars for UK display teams to do a show with all the planes tied together but I don't know what types of maneuvers were undertaken

Glider said:
It was quite common between the wars for UK display teams to do a show with all the planes tied together but I don't know what types of maneuvers were undertaken

Slow rolls, lazy 8s, loops, all in one tight formation!

Here's a picture of the team Chanault was in

Attachments

• mcdonald01_flyingtrapeze_219.jpg
    mcdonald01_flyingtrapeze_219.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 325
Glider said:

As a lad my dad went to see Captain Blacks Flying Circus at
Maylands Airfield in Essex.
He said they did the cutting balloons with the wings trick while flying upside down ect and for half a crown (two shillings and sixpence),
Captain Black himself would take you up for a joy ride.
My dad and his mate only had four shillings between them but the old boy said he would take them both up together.
In they scrambled to this old biplane and the assistant strapped them down (one belt over both their laps). A couple humps on the prop and the engine coughed into life. Away they went down the grass runway everything rattling and shaking until it slowly rose into the air.
Even as a 11 year old my dad didnt like the way the wings appeared to move independantly to the fuslage all the rigging was so slack that the planes wings seemed to take off before the plane. After a ten minute fly round Captain Black bought the two boys back to ground in one piece.
A week later Captain Blacks flying circus was closed by the authorities due to unsafe aircraft.

My old man thinks its really funny as he thought it was great at the time like being a WW1 ace. Not that many working class people in the UK had ever been up in a plane in the early 30s, in fact my own first flight was a ten minute joy ride at 14 for a birthday present.
My first real flight was on a 707 at 21.

My Fathers claim to fame was that he went on the Hindenberg in Germany before it went to the States and was destroyed. He has these photo's of typical British 30's types having tea in front of the unbelievably huge hanger doors. With the exception of the Kennedy Space Center I have never seen anything like it, you have no idea just how big these things look. The people having tea are simply dots on the bottom of the photo.
The Hindengurg was in the hanger and for obvious reasons no photo's were allowed inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back