Best Aircraft in Many Different Roles Part II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ok but almost any fighter could carry bombs, that's nothing specail, how many bomber could dogfight??

the P-38 could carry two torps, with no guns, the mossie could carry a torp, 1,000lbs of bombs internally and guns, i'd give that to the mossie.........

Wrong Lanc. The test conducted with the P-38 was with two torpedoes and a full ammo load.

And the Mossie was hardly a dogfighter.

ok but almost any fighter could carry bombs, that's nothing specail, how many bomber could dogfight??

Well, lets put 'dogfight' in inverted commas. The Ju-88 could.

Ok, almost any fighter can carry bombs, buit name me another fighter that can carry 5,200lbs of bombs?

it's not the fighter part that's significant, the P-38 was a twin engined aircraft, 5,200lbs is not specail for a twin engined plane.............

no, the P-38's max of 5,200lbs is more than the normall load carried by the mediums, the mediums were capable of much more than the 4,000lbs some of them normally carried...........

the lancaster kicks ass said:
no, the P-38's max of 5,200lbs is more than the normall load carried by the mediums, the mediums were capable of much more than the 4,000lbs some of them normally carried...........

Ive seen the normal load for the B-25 as being 3,500lbs...

NO I dont, cos Ive just stated that the normal load for a P-38 was higher than that of a B-25...which proves my point.

The B-25 C/D carried 5,200 lbs of bombs, on a normal run. The 3,200 lbs load is for the late marks, such as J and H. The J had the nose filled with .50 cal though, and was not a bomber as such, it had twelve .50 cal in the glass nose and eighteen in the solid nose.

The H had the 75mm cannon, so obviously could not carry the full bomb load. The B-25 could obviously carry more than the P-38, you'd be foolish to think otherwise.

it's not the fighter part that's significant, the P-38 was a twin engined aircraft, 5,200lbs is not specail for a twin engined plane.............

Corsairs could carry up to 4,000...

Au-1 Corsairs could carry something like 7,000, but that was in Korea.

plan_D said:
The B-25 C/D carried 5,200 lbs of bombs, on a normal run. The 3,200 lbs load is for the late marks, such as J and H. The J had the nose filled with .50 cal though, and was not a bomber as such, it had twelve .50 cal in the glass nose and eighteen in the solid nose.

The H had the 75mm cannon, so obviously could not carry the full bomb load. The B-25 could obviously carry more than the P-38, you'd be foolish to think otherwise.

Ah right, I never looked into the early marks. Thanks for that.

GermansRGeniuses said:

Corsairs could carry up to 4,000...

Au-1 Corsairs could carry something like 7,000, but that was in Korea.

Actully the F4U-1 originaly was not rated to carry anything, By the F4U-1d? it had a 2,000lbs load limit.

TheF-4U-4 was rated at 4,000lbs and was sometines loadded out in the 5,000lbs range.

By Korea the F4U-5 was in common use, It was also a dedicated attack aircraft that rarely broke 400mph. I don't recall load limits but they may have been in the 7,000lbs range. The issue with the Corsair was limited hard points - that's where the Skyraider came in.

cheddar cheese said:

Well, lets put 'dogfight' in inverted commas. The Ju-88 could.

Ok, almost any fighter can carry bombs, buit name me another fighter that can carry 5,200lbs of bombs?

Yeah but the Ju-88 was not much of a dogfighter though. It was a good night fighter but not a dog fighter. For me the Ju-88 is the ultimate aircraft to use in different roles though. Mostly just oppionion though.

As for the P-61 from what I have read it rarely carried bombs but it could carry a load of 3200lb to 6400lb of bombs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back