Best Bomber Killing Aircraft......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

and what about ata missles ?

Attachments

• iaf_543.gif
    iaf_543.gif
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,433
During the BoB it could only really have been the Hurricane or the Spit.

The 262 was ultimately superior though.

Although I have great respect for the -262, I'd have to go with the Fw-190A-8/R2 Bomber Destroyer... If u went to the 8th AF Historical Society's Reunion, you could meet a group of guys who could tell you in no uncertain terms that they were scared to death of the Fw-190A8/R2's... They are the 40+ survivors of the Kassel Mission of Sept 27th, 1944, when the 445th Bomb Group was almost wiped out of existance... They lost 33 of 37 planes that day, mostly to two waves of Fw-190's attacking from the rear... 25 bombers went down in about 3 minutes, the wreckage scattered over about 15 miles of the German countryside...

Martin Caindin said in his book "Black Thursday" (the Schweinfurt raid in October, 43) said that gunners could see their .50 cal rounds, including armor-piercing, bounce off the armor plating on the Fw-190's...

The Fw-190A8/R2 was equipped with 2 13mm heavy machineguns in the nose, 2 20mm cannon located near the wing roots and 2 30mm Mk 108 cannons mounted outboard of the propellor arc... The 30mm cannon replaced 2 20mm cannons located on the outer wing section...

The Fw-190A8/R1 carried no less than the 2 13mm machineguns, 2 20mm cannons internal to the wing and 2 R1 'Rustak' pods, each containing 2 20mm cannons!!!! Imagine the poor tailgunner looking through his gunsight at an Fw-190 coming in with 6, yes I said 6, 20mm cannons blasting away at him, well beyond the range of his .50 cal machineguns...

The -262 to me was just too fast, and did not enough time on station, to effectively claim the title as Best Bomber Killer...

Yeah me too, for the Germans to utilise such a great piece of engineering like that in the time they had and under the pressure they had was pretty great.

While I will agree that the aircraft you mentioned, Les, was definitely a terror on the bombers, I have also heard it said that if the -262 was out earlier, it would have made it alot tougher on the bomber crews. It would probably not have changed the outcome, but could very well have prolonged it.

what about the germen redio guided anti bomber missle ?
the japanis proberly had a maned version, :lol:

Attachments

• iaf_152.gif
    iaf_152.gif
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,226
To keep their hair from getting in their eyes????

Sorry to disagree with u guys, but the -262 was not a better bomber killer than the Fw-190.... It had less firepower, less armored protection, and alot less time on station... I dont reall ever reading about bomber crews being scared of the -262 on attack...

Not to say that it wasnt a devastating attack... 4x 30mm will put the fear of god in ya no doubt....

Yes, but with 4 x 30mm cannons, it doesn't take but a good burst to do some serious damage. I am sure you have seen what a 30mm does to metal, and bodies. BIG holes and pink mist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back