Best Bomber Killing Aircraft......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the jet was too fast to take out more than 1 bomber per pass, coming around which it was able to do or go forward and attack a bomber pulk farther up the line, say within five miles it then could take out the second bomber.

The Fw 190 pilots learned to sit on their tail and it is a fact that pilots on many an occassion and with experiecne were able to knock out as many as 3 heavies during a mission

The only type using the Vulture to go into production was the Avro Manchester which had two of them. When the engine reliability issues became clear the Avro team re-designed the aircraft to use four Merlins. This was initially called the Manchester Mark III and then renamed Lancaster.

Like all successful aircraft the Lancaster not only looked good but its flying characteristics matched its appearance. It is all the more ironic therefore that the birth of Avro's mighty machine owed so much to failure, the failure of its immediate predecessor, the twin engine Avro Manchester. The Avro 683 evolved almost accidentally as a result of recurrent failure of the insufficiently developed Rolls Royce Vulture engines installed in the Manchester.

i love the smell of shit in the morning........

that's a very common myth, the lancaster wasn't born out of the failure of the manchester, the sources as to when Chadwik unnoficaily started the designs for the lancaster vary from a couple of days before the manchester went into production to a couple of days after, either way chadders knew that we'd need an even bigger and even better bomber than the manchester, i so took the manchester, and stuck two more vultures on the wings, as it happens, the vulture was, shall we say, unreliable, so he very very quickly changed to merlins, and never looked back............

Yes he knew that Britain needed a larger and more reliable bomber. What I was saying with that is and what the website where I found it is saying is that the design of the Manchester evolved into the design of the Lancaster because the engines were not reliable on the Manchester.

geez where do I start..............

Oskar Bosch is a personal friend and flew the SturmFw during is career. At least four other pilots through letter, Oskar Romm RK winner being one, and Willi Unger being another who received the RK, he now has parkinson's disease. Numerous night fighter pilots and crews as that is really my specialty. I've probably interviewed some 50 Luftwaffe pilots over the years.

E ~

I have spoken to a few but not too many. Mostly I have only spoken to Heer soldaten who are family members of mine. There stories are great also especially those of my Grandfather who was a Major in the Army and my mothers Uncle who was in the Waffen SS. Unfortunatly I only have my Grandfathers diaries left because he is dead now. But the stories of the soldiers and airmen of the WW2 are so interesting and one can learn so much no matter which side they were on.

Avro Lancaster Mk I First production model of the Lancaster. This version was based on the design of the Avro Manchester, wich was powered by 2 × Rolls Royce Vulture X engines. The Vulture, however proved to be troublesome, and after the war had already started the Avro design team looked for alternatives. This turned out to be a 4-engined bomber, powered by Rolls Royce Merlins. The result proved to be one of the most successful heavy bombers of the war, even so that the British Air Ministry ordered the Manchester production stopped instantly to prioritise the lancaster production. Also, it was the omly bomber capable of carying the Tallboy and Grand Slam bombs.
Production of the Lancaster started with Merlin XX's, but during the construction of the 3434 aircraft they switched to Merlin 22's, and later to Merlin 24's. Also, the initial ventral turret was dropped and other aerodynamic changes made sure that the Lancaster's performance and bombload increased
Number built: 3434

Strengths:

Highly maneuverable (for an aircraft of that size), enabling it to outmaneuver German nightfighters
Well armoured, capable of sustaining heavy damage
Huge bombloads

Weaknesses:

Not one of the fastest bombers available

i wouldn't call it well armoured, the ONLY peice of armour normally carried was a small peice behind the pilot's head, but it could take more damage than it's often given credit for..................

and the speed thing depends what bombers you're comparing it to, next to the mossie it was slow, next to a B-17 it was fast...............

Eagle I had two cousins serve in the Luftwaffe, one a day fighter pilot with only 3 missions flying an Fw 190A-9 killed in action on 26 November 1944. Siegfried Baer.

seond was Hans Baer a night fighter ace killed tragically in a stupid engine accident in his Bf 110G-4 near his base while Gruppenkommandeur of II./NJG 5.

4 others were in the Heer on the Ost front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back