Best Bomber Killing Aircraft......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

if you guys are going to start posting what-ifs in combat and 4 engine bombers then please make another thread as this is being tainted........

agreed ? SturmFw's rule !

Attachments

• jg300sturm.jpg
    jg300sturm.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 897
note the heavy armor around the cockpit on the SturmFw, Willi Unger, friend at the controls............yes this is a pic I posted some months ago...

Attachments

• ungercockpitviabrown.jpg
    ungercockpitviabrown.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 721
Nice pic. So you know Willi Unger?

Willi Unger was born on 27 March 1920 at Warstein in the Sauerland region of Westfalen. He became an accomplished glider pilot. He trained as an engineer and passed his Facharbeiterprüfung on 1 September 1939. He joined the Luftwaffe at the start of World War 2 where he served as a Flugzeugmechaniker despite his flying qualifications. He was finally accepted for pilot training in December 1941, commencing flying training with Flugzeugführerschule A/B 10 at Warnemünde. At the end of May 1943, he transferred to I./JG 104, based at Herzogenaurach, to undergo fighter pilot training. In December 1943, he was promoted to Unteroffizier and completed his fighter pilot's training with the Ergänzungsgruppe, based at Laleu in France. Unger was posted to JG3 on 10 March 1944. Unteroffizier Unger was assigned to 11./JG 3, based at Salzwedel. His first victory was achieved during his seventh mission on 11 April, when he shot down a USAAF B-17 four-engined bomber, from a formation that had attacked Rostock, near Warnemünde. In April, he was to down a total of eight four-engine bombers. On 29 April 1944, IV./JG 3 and Sturmstaffel 1 were amalgamated and redesignated IV.(Sturm)/JG 3 under the command of Hauptmann Wilhelm Moritz (44 victories, RK). Unger was assigned to 12.(Sturm)/JG 3. On 8 May, after claiming a B-24 shot down, he was himself shot down but carried out a successful belly landing. In aerial combat over Oschersleben on 7 July, Feldwebel Unger shot down two USAAF B-24 four-engine bombers, his 10th and 11th victories. He was shot down again on 18 July, after shooting down a B-17 for his 12th victory, when coming into land at Memmingen by USAAF fighters. He managed to bale out landing in a tree! On 3 August, Unger shot down two B-24s, but was himself shot down by defensive fire from the bombers over the Lechtal Alps, baling out safely from his damaged Fw 190A-8 "Yellow 7" + ~. In August, he received the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold and promotion to the rank of Oberfeldwebel. By September 1944, Unger had transferred to 15.(Sturm)/JG 3. Fahnenjunker-Feldwebel Unger was awarded the Ritterkreuz on 23 October for 19 victories. He was given home leave, during which time he was married on 24 December. In December, he was promoted to the rank of Leutnant and attended a formation leaders course at Gütersloh. In February 1945, IV./JG 3 moved to the Eastern Front. Unger was appointed Staffelführer of 14.(Sturm)/JG 3 and led the Staffel on freie-Jagd and ground attack missions over the Oder front, He recorded his last three victories there. At the beginning of April 1945, Unger joined JG 7, based at Brandenburg, flying Me 262 jet fighters. Within two weeks he had completed his conversion training, however he achieved no further victories before being captured by American troops and taken to Regensburg for imprisonment. He was released on 28 May 1945. Post-war Unger was an active sports flyer winning a number of gliding competitions. He resumed his vocation as a fitter working for a local quarrying operation. He retired on 31 December 1981.
Willi Unger was credited with 24 confirmed victories in 59 missions. He recorded at least 21 victories over the Western Front, all four-engine bombers.

Attachments

• unger.jpg
    unger.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,020
yes I know him. I have a copy of all his photos from his photo album as well as a portion of his flugbuch in the summer of 44. A kind a gracious man, Parkinson's is taking it's toll on him and all correspondance is done through his daughter...

Attachments

• ungerrk.jpg
    ungerrk.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 746
Erich said:
yes I know him. I have a copy of all his photos from his photo album as well as a portion of his flugbuch in the summer of 44. A kind a gracious man, Parkinson's is taking it's toll on him and all correspondance is done through his daughter...

Very interesting, Erich! I think you're very fortunate to have met him.

I agree I think it is a wonderful thing to know these people no matter what side they were on. Just the things they can tell you need to be preserved forever so that there stories are never forgotten.

it is an honour that is for sure.

Here is another chap from IV.Sturm/JG 3, Karl Heinz von den Steinen. He was wounded after three victories on 3 August 44 the same date as Will U. Karl is also a very special man....

Attachments

• vondensteinen.jpg
    vondensteinen.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 698
last pic before I head out to work.

Friend Walter Hagenah. At least 8 "heavies" to his credit while serving in 13.Sturm/JG 3, later flew in Me 262 III./JG 7 taking out 1 P-51 with his R4M's.............obliterated is actually the word he used.

Attachments

• hagenahviabrown.jpg
    hagenahviabrown.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 987
Walter Hagenah was born in 1919. Hagenah completed his fighter pilot training in early 1942 and was posted to JG 3. Obergefreiter Hagenah was assigned to 2./JG 3, based at Wiesbaden. On 22 April, the unit was ordered to relocate to Vienna-Aspern in preparation for service on the Eastern front. Hagenah suffered a take-off accident in Bf 109 F-4 "Yellow 4" at Vienna, fortunately without injury. On 12 August 1942, Hagenah achieved his first success when he shot down a Russian LaGG-3 fighter. His last victories on the Eastern Front were gained on 14 October 1942, over the Stalingrad pocket, when he downed two Russian Il-2 Sturmovik ground-attack aircraft for his 5th and 6th victories. I./JG 3 was then recalled to Germany for rest and refit. By December 1943, Hagenah was serving with 10./JG 3. His 7th victory, a USAAF B-24 four-engine bomber, was claimed on 19 December 1943. On 12 May 1944, he claimed a USAAF B-17 four-engine bomber Herausschuss but had to force-land near Dornholzhausen in his Bf 109 G-6. In July 1944, Leutnant Hagenah transferred to IV.(Sturm)/JG 3, under the command of Hauptmann Wilhelm Moritz (44 victories, RK), based at Illesheim. The Gruppe was the first of several being formed to fly the heavily armed and armoured Fw 190 A-8/R8 Sturmbock fighters in an attempt to inflict heavy losses on the American bomber formations. He was appointed Staffelkapitän of 10./JG 3 when Leutnant Hans Weik (36 victories, RK) was shot down and wounded on 19 July 1944. On 30 July, he downed a USAAF P-38 twin-engine fighter for his 15th victory. In September 1944, Hagenah attended a fighter leaders' course. He then went to Erfurt to convert ex-bomber pilots for fighter operations with the Fw 190A. Later he was sent to Luben to train new Sturmgruppe pilots. In March 1945, he was transferred to III./JG 7 to fly Me 262 jet fighters from Lärz. On 10 April 1945, he shot down a USAAF P-51 fighter with R4M rockets. It was his 17th and last victory.
Walter Hagenah was credited with 17 victories in about 140 combat missions. He recorded six victories over the Eastern Front. Of his 11 victories recorded over the Western Front, nine were four-engine bombers.

Attachments

• hagenah.jpg
    hagenah.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 751
thenSturmFw's were actually the R2 as the R8 did not come out till November-December 1944 with the aerodynamci fairings over the deleted mg 131's as standard.

Hannes Weik was a great guy as well and we were able to interview him at lenght before his passing; probably the last research group to do so as we were contacted within 3 days of our interview of his death. Hannes scored 2 bombers in the heavy SturmFw, all others were in the Bf 109G-6

Attachments

• weik-hans.jpg
    weik-hans.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 626
He shot down a P-51 with R4/Ms? Jesus christ, crazy to use them...brilliant to actually hit them.

not all Sturm aces few the heavier Fw 190A-8-Sturm. Konrad Bauer although flying several different a/c due to being shot down flew a red 3 Fw 190A-8 with four 2cm weapons. Minengeschoss did their job.....he was an RK winner

Attachments

• bauerrote3b.jpg
    bauerrote3b.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 637
and who were to protect the heavy SturmFw units on the wedge attacks on the rear of the US heavy bomber formations ?

why of course Bf 109G-6 equipped I./JG 300 under the leadership of Gerhard Stamp, RK winner

Attachments

• stamp_pg36.jpg
    stamp_pg36.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 878

Users who are viewing this thread

Back