Best Bomber Killing Aircraft......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Hurricane Mk.I was not a potent interceptor. The eight Browning .303cal machine guns were not suitable for knocking down bombers. .

The Armament was just fine in 1940, the machine guns were concentrated well enough to take down any germany bomber, surely cannons would have been more effective

The Armament was just fine in 1940, the machine guns were concentrated well enough to take down any germany bomber, surely cannons would have been more effective

Even in 1940 8 .303's wasn't really good enough, it surficed (just) but the switch to heavier armament was noted and implemented after the Battle of Britain (and during - Spitfire had 2 x 20mm fitted but they jammed so the squadron went back to the 8 .303's). That is why the later Hurricanes had 12 .303's before the switch to 4 x 20mm was done with the MkIIC, almost every mark of both the Hurricane and the Spitfire had 20mm cannon fitted after 1940. The RAF realised that the .303 wasn't good enough for the fighter-bomber role (although it was alright for fighter-fighter) and so they were phased out as the war went on.

As for best bomber killing aircraft overall I would agree with Les and Erich with the FW-190A8 (with or without the 30mm cannons).

Wow, ton of good info in this thread. If you want to make best = most effective, you have to take mission capable rates, ease of use by pilot, survivability, etc into account. The Axis expended far greater effort in producing a dedicated bomber-killer, since their own airspace was (ahem) a target-rich environment. The 109 and the 190 each were pretty effective when equipped with multiple cannon and explosive shells. The 262 was a little too finicky in its handling (particularly the throttle), and required too much maintenance, and was too late in the war to prove itself. The 109 was good, especially at altitude, but didn't have enough power to overcome the additional armor and armament, and the 190 had enough power that all of the additional weight did not degrade performance as significantly as the 109.

A one-off quasi-prototype Hurricane equipped with cannons does not make the Hurricane the best bomber-destroyer of the entire war.

the Mk.IIC hurricane wasn't a one off she was if not the most then the second most produced Mark of the hurricane, however by this point the hurricane had been religated from the front line duties over Europe but went on the serve in every other theatre............

well bull I have to disagree, JG 7 Me 262's proved themselves many times in the anti-bomber role, even in fighter vs fighter if they had the jump.

stil l the Fw 190A-8 Sturm was the ultimate devastating "pulk" destroyer in 44

the 262 was still too new on the scene and did not really prove itself as the "ultimate" Viermottötter till March of 1945. Not a very long track record as the Fw 190A-7 and A-8 with Mk 108's had been popping US heavies since the spring of 1944.

one of the problems facing the Me 262 pilots and veteran Walter Schuck can easily confirm when he flew in JG 7, is the set-up time to attack and then the attack from the rear with only 3 seconds firing time at best as they 'SWOOSHED' through the rear of the bomber Pulks. Many pilots admitted the total frustration, the jet was just too blame fast .....................

again I point out that it was these guys that were the most effective bomber busters in the air for the Luftwaffe, and they paid the price in blood ....

Gotta agree with Erich and Les as well. While the Me-262 with more time could have eventually equalled what the Fw-190s were doing the Fw-190 was the single handedly best bomber killer of the ETO for the Luftwaffe.

No I dont agree. I think the Hurricane was a damn good bomber killer but only because the Spits were handling the 109s. The 109 was just as effective if not better at killing bombers as the Hurricane.

Okay then I meet you in the sky with my Fw-190D-9 in 1945 and completely out fly you and outshoot you! Dont say no, because you said anytime and everytime.

The Hurricane was outclassed for the most part by 1943.

Fw 190A-8/R2 or R8 the Mk 108 Minengeschoss would prove itself superior, of course I guess since it is almost years end we could come up with a fantasy armament .......... think we have done this previously

whoa, too much Glühwein !!

Users who are viewing this thread