Best Bomber of WW2 -- #3

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I think the B-29 was clearly the best Heavy bomber, if not the best plane of the war. Lancaster just has it for second place for me, closely followed by the B-24 and B-17.

i'll conceed the B-29 was better than the lanc, there, i said it, i feel so dirty :(

BUT it's important to remember it is a generation ahead of the lanc, the lanc saw longer service and the lanc was the best bomber over europe and at night..........

cheddar cheese said:
No I think the B-29 was clearly the best Heavy bomber, if not the best plane of the war. Lancaster just has it for second place for me, closely followed by the B-24 and B-17.

I agree with you, but I dont think the B-29 was the best plane of the war.

syscom3 said:
Although the B32 was only used for a very short time, Id say it was still superior to the Lanc.

I agree - it had a lot od potential and could have been a close counterpart to the B-29

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
cheddar cheese said:

Agree - again I'll stand behind an earlier statement, the best plane of the war, overall was the C-47. I know some folks would want to see a fighter or bomber, but the C-47s operational record, longevity and capabilities speak for itself....

FLYBOYJ said:
syscom3 said:
Although the B32 was only used for a very short time, Id say it was still superior to the Lanc.

I agree - it had a lot od potential and could have been a close counterpart to the B-29

cheddar cheese said:

Agree - again I'll stand behind an earlier statement, the best plane of the war, overall was the C-47. I know some folks would want to see a fighter or bomber, but the C-47s operational record, longevity and capabilities speak for itself....
Agreed, well said FBJ.

I'm trying to find information the B-29s WW2 combat record, here's information on its Korean War Record...

When the Korean War ended on July 27, 1953, the B-29s had flown over 21,000 sorties, nearly 167,000 tons of bombs had been dropped, and 34 B-29s had been lost in combat (16 to fighters, four to flak, and fourteen to other causes). B-29 gunners had accounted for 34 communist fighters (16 of these being MiG-15s) probably destroyed another 17 (all MiG-15s) and damaged 11 (all MiG-15s). Losses were less than 1 per 1000 sorties.

FLYBOYJ said:
syscom3 said:

cheddar cheese said:

Agreed 100%.

blue swede said:
I've always thought the Heinkel 177 Grief was the best overall bomber of ww2.
8)

And how do you come to that conclusion. Please tell me you are kidding! It was not a bad design but the engines were terrible. It was like flying a coffin with the 2 Daimler-Benz DB 610A-1/B-1. The 2 V-12 coupled to each propeller were very unreliable and it would catch fire easily.

Well, it could do almost everything better than the Lancaster. It was comparable to the B17 and was better in most catagories to the B24. Okay, I'll admit it wasn't as good as the B29, but it had a different role.
8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back