Best Bomber of ww2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

but german could have used a 4 engine heavy bomber , rather than bombarding britain will Do's

well they should have started to build one then , or stivk two 110's together with Sc1000 on both fusalage's and two on the wings :lol:

at the time the He-111 was designed they only envisiged a small scale war with neighbouring countries, so a big bomber wasn't nessisary, they thought their thoery was proved right during the spainish civil war but we proved them wrong over britian.......................

The He-111 wasn't bad for the BoB. It could have used more defensive firepower (preferably something in a powered turret). Its real flaw was its inability to hit strategic targets in Russia or in the West once Germany started losing its French bases.

Watching the History Channel It was noted that the B-17s dropped one-third (1/3) of the bomb tonnage dropped on the ETOin WWII. :shock:

Kinda puts it back in contention!

I saw that program and it drove me nuts. Granted the B-17 was a terrific aircraft but nothing at all was said about the B-24 or the Lanc and their combination to the CBO. Also, the P-51 was, once again, portrayed as the savior of daylight bombing without so much as lip service being paid to the contributions of the P-38.

Its similar with programs on the Battle of Britain, the Spitfire gets all the glamour but the Hurricane only gets mentioned as "the RAF's other main fighter". ITs annoying.

Another very difficult thread going on here.

Again, we found ourselves before an issue we can give as many approaches as individuals are around here.

I think it was here where I read someone saying the German doctrine of putting the entire bomber crew virtually in the nose section of the bombers to boost morale (Ju88 and Do17 during the Battle of Britain) was a silly thing to do, for the crew could get wiped out on one single pass of the British interceptors.

I do think that is misleading. The guns of the RAF interceptors during the Batlle of Britain were even ligther than those the German bombers had for defensive action: .303 cal vs. 7.92 mm.

I have been told the Battle of Britain has got its tales as well. The RAF fighters could hardly blow the German bombers out of the sky with their very light guns, and records of heavily damaged He111´s, Ju88´s and Do17´s making it back to base in France are plentiful.

Many of the German bombers lost over England were more in the so heavily damaged situation they simply had to try a force landing, and not necessarily plummeted down in flames. I have seen dozens of photos of German bombers lost over England, and in fact, the vast majority of such pics show the German pilot force landed its damaged bomber, the propellers twisted backwards during the landing.

Furthermore, the Ju88 and the Do17, once their bombloads had been delivered were fast and very manouverable. Surely not faster than the Hurricane and the Spifire, but never as dramaticly slow as B-17 or a B-24 facing a Bf109 or a Fw190; speed is not everything though.

There are records of British pilots who got nastily surprised by the ability of the Ju88 and the Do17 to evade them.

So, as an individual crewman of a bomber (personal interest) I´d rather be on a German Ju88 or Do17 during the Battle of Britain and not in the massive clumsy heavy four engined B-17 or B-24 from 1943 and on facing the cannon armed Bf109s and Fw190s and the 88 Flak batteries. My chances of survival are higher on a Ju88 or Do17 than in a USAAF heavy.

It is clear to me that even by having such a massive size and defensive armament (i.e. B17 and B24), therefore implying a bigger effort in bringing them down, the German fighter pilots were far better at bomber destruction duties than the RAF boys were. The Germans carried a far superior bomber destroyer capability than that displayed by the British pilots over England in 1940.

For tactical purposes surely the heavy bombers win for they have a far bigger bombload and are able to bring more destruction. Still, the accuracy of the heavies of the 8th and 15th Air Forces left a lot to be desired.

So someone said putting the whole crew in the nose section to boost morale is a silly thing. The USA doctrine of putting 10 men all along that large tube packed with defensive guns enters the domain of amusement. Each bomber brought down means a lot of people lost. Lose only ten bombers, a small number of aircraft if you will, and it shall mean 100 men did not return; not precisely a morale boosting element for those crews returning from mission and finding 100 beds will be empty for the night.

I can see the arguments but the aircraft you mentioned lacked the payload, range, and defensive ability to be successful as strategic bombers. As such they fall behind the Allied heavies.

Yeomanz said:
well they should have started to build one then , or stivk two 110's together with Sc1000 on both fusalage's and two on the wings :lol:

I know it's a joke, but the wing would be too long, there wouldn't be enough structural integrity to support the two fuselages, though a joining of the tails might help, but I think it would warp and wobble in the wind...

To the RAF boys in 1940 bringing down a bomber was anyway possible, if it had to ditch you've still stopped it bombing. This doesn't make the bomber any better though.

Also, .303 cal/7.62mm isn't much weaker than 7.92mm. And 8*7.62mm put in the right place, can still do some damage. All the Spitfires needed in 1940 was the e-wing, then we'd see those German bombers blowing to pieces.

GermansRGeniuses said:
Yeomanz said:

I know it's a joke, but the wing would be too long, there wouldn't be enough structural integrity to support the two fuselages, though a joining of the tails might help, but I think it would warp and wobble in the wind...

and if it got into the air the wings would probably fall off :lol:

I've never thought about it, I think the Wellington was one the best early war Medium bombers.

Nope! :D 4,500lbs for the Wellington as opposed to nearly 8,400lbs for the He-111 8) However the Wellingtons range was better, at 1,470 miles rather than just under 1,000 miles for the He-111 8)

I haven't seen any numbers on this but I believe the Wellington had a better range/payload capability than the He-111. Also, I like the fact that the Wellington had powered gun turrets. Those were a major advantage over the hand-held guns on the 111.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back