best carrier attack A/C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You sure about that? All they had to do was add an arresting hook with no changes to the airframe?

Not taking sides here, but I recall an a discussion here a while ago where you seemed to believe that all you had to do was add an arresting hook to an airframe....:lol:

And directed to Civettone:

Now having said that there is no way that the Ju-87 can even be considered the best carrier attack aircraft. First and for most only a few prototypes had been built and a few were production aircraft were being built by the time the GZ was canceled and the prototypes were rebuilt to Ju-87B standard.

An aircraft that did not perform in its role can not compete because there is nothing to base it off of. An aircraft can fly great but that does not mean it will be well suited for this particular role. I personally think the Ju-87 would have been fine in the dive bombing role off of Carriers but we simply do not know.

Also it would have been a terrible torpedo bomber. Look at the size of the Ju-87 and tell me how it would have handled and flown and taken off with a large torpedo under it without extensive modifications which would have changed its characteristics.

Now as for the Fi-167, we will never know either therefore it can not be considered either.

Sorry Civettone I have to agree with the others here. I too am a Luftwaffe enthusiast but you are really being biased when there were aircraft out there better suited for the task. Just because they are not Luftwaffe aircraft does not mean they sucked...

I would have to vote for the TBF/TBM Avenger for the best carrier attack plane. While it dropped its share of torpedoes, it actally dropped far more bombs while in the invasioon support role in the Pacific. The Avenger had all the usual trademarks of a US carrier plane: robust construction, reliable radial engine, well-trained pilots, adequate or better armament. While not as agile or as fast as the B-7, it could hold its own when under attack due to its 2 defensive gun positions.

tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back