best engine of the war

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

American biscuits are a member of the bread family.
They're made with flour, baking powder, salt, milk and butter.
Sometimes a bit of sugar is added and the milk is substituted with buttermilk.

Typically an addition to lunch or dinner, they're also popular in the South as a breakfast item, being covered in a thick gravy.

Haha, sorry guys, a bikkie is a biscuit, normally consumed with a cup of tea. View attachment 633157
For tax purposes, when left in open air a biscuit goes soft and a cake goes hard.
Ah no actually that's a scone, best served with jam and clotted cream.
Telling which goes on top, jam or cream betrays your cultural roots. Jam on top is from Devon, cream on top is from Cornwall. It is a bitter rivalry.

Did RR ever give up the secret of incantations performed by Druid priestesses? That might explain the early failures Packard had.

I got told a humorous anecdote by a member of the Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust once, he said that when Packard sent Merlins over to the UK from the US, they each came with tool kits. He then said that Rolls-Royce never supplied tool kits with their Merlins because they didn't need them...

My Dad accidentally forgot to hand in some of the Packard tool kit when he left the RAF. I still have them

Damn good thing the Germans didn't catch wind of this thing called "horsepower", they might have tried it too...
Yes hillarious. Now, going back to your previous work of unscalable witticism It's called that for three reasons, firstly half the original documents actually have "secret" written on them, secondly much of the book concerns technical intelligence work (which is secret), and thirdly most of the documents on British technical intelligence on it were still classified until 1974, actually quite a while AFTER many books on WW2 aviation were written, in fact some i used were maked closed until 1994, and, memoirs like Kollmanns have never been seen by anyone, at all.

So you'll forgive me for thinking that "secret" was a relevant word to describe the book in the title.

Six years writing something and what do you get? No discussion of the contents, just accused of writing a click bait title. *Sigh*

Nobody accuses you of anything but writing a good researched and succesfull book. Fact.

About the secret bit. Why did they keep it secret for so long? With the age of jets it seems a bit long.
The Air-40 series for example, is material from British Air Intelligence, so there are just mandatory "closed for XX years" orders applied to it. It was all opened in the mid 1970s. The stuff closed until the 1990s was likely just because it had once been classified, and it was so obscure nobody bothered un-classifying it until some researchers actually lodged a request. The ministry of defence certainly shredded vast amounts before releasing the files too, what we have is merely the rough outline in many cases. Also, a lot of these files were worked on by military intelligence people, with names and sometimes phone numbers. These same people would often have gone on to work right into the cold war doing the same on russian tech. So you can imagine why files on seemingly irrelevant technology were kept secret longer than "apparently" necessary.

Someone like Golovine would have made a great target for the KGB etc to blackmail/bribe/other, and his office details are in those files.

Similarly the HEC files contain detailed info on German ww2 NBC programmes. (Nuclear/biological/chemical) in addition to stuff like Daimler Benz engine production. (HEC=Halstead Exploitation Centre, a pretty "dark" place I'd say)

Last edited:
Regarding post #6, the R-2600 didn't power any American fighters. It was used in the TBF/TBM, the B-25, the A-20, Vultee Vengeance, and Mariner (not a complete list), but the only fighter it was in was the XF6F Hellcat prototype that later went to the R-2800 and the series stayed with the R-2800.

Agree with the rest of the post.

These same people would often have gone on to work right into the cold war doing the same on russian tech. So you can imagine why files on seemingly irrelevant technology were kept secret longer than "apparently" necessary.

In line with this I remember reading a similar thing from a journo's report covering the Farnborough Airshows after the Soviet Union's collapse when the Russians first bought their jets over to be exhibited, they were prepared to talk at great length about the latest variant of the MiG-29 and Su-27, but if people asked about things in the past, like MiG-25s and earlier they were met with stony silence and a refusal to indulge in further discussion...

Users who are viewing this thread