best engine of the war

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not trying to argue, but what does this have to do with WWII aircraft or, more specifically, the best engine of the war?

I'm nominating the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 with the Rolls Royce Merlin being in a near dead heat for the best. There are quite a few "good" ones, though, on both the Allied and Axis side.

Last edited:
I wonder how the air war would have gone if the Germans had 100-octane from the start?
Propably nothing. While fuel and raw materials were great problems, decision making was the main problem.
Even with the historically available engines they could have much better performing fighters. Fw190c(v13), instead of d series, fiat g56 instead of me 410, Fw187c instead of bf110g and me 410, and of course an aerodynamic bf 109( not even the k4 did not have all the possible improvement s)

Propably nothing. While fuel and raw materials were great problems, decision making was the main problem.
Even with the historically available engines they could have much better performing fighters. Fw190c(v13), instead of d series, fiat g56 instead of me 410, Fw187c instead of bf110g and me 410, and of course an aerodynamic bf 109( not even the k4 did not have all the possible improvement s)
Sorry. I should have said 150 octane fuels. In any event, the German fuels were inferior to those of the allies. I have a document somewhere that discusses this. For now, this website seems to have some authority on the subject.

jim

What's an enigine?

Hey VA5124, it's OK to misspell. We do it in here all the time. Just kicking a little bit, as gets done to me and a lot of others. No insult intended.

My vote for radial would be the Pratt & Whitney R-2800.

My vote for an inline would be a tie between the DB 600 series and the Merlin series.

I think these 3 engine series did more for the WWII war effort than any others, but you could make a case for the R-1830.
I think it is amusing that everyone notices an extra inserted letter, but no one seems to care about the constant and repeated use of "it's" for "its." Possessive pronouns don't use apostrophes; only nouns do. "It's" is a contraction meaning "it is." So all of you who misuse it have just been cited by the grammar police.

First some order:

R2600 didn't power any fighters only bombers - such as TBM, B-25 (prototype F6F an exception)

My best engines:

American:
R1820 - long list of applications from the F2A and F4F fighters to to B-17 bombers and C-47 transports throughout the war, and then the H-34 helicopters and T-28s afterwards.
R2800 - best radial engine of WW2
British:
RR Merlin - no need to explain: fighters, transports, bombers
German:
DB601 - great engine that suffered a lot of issues during the later part of the war through no fault of its own
Japanese:
Hakajima Sakae

Jake
The gooney bird (C-47) used the R1830, not the 1820.

Calum Douglas rated the Jumo 213 as the engine with the most modern concept as well as the one with the highest development potential. The peak would have been the Jumo 213N generating 2900 PS using C3 fuel and MW50.

We know which side won, but I think the Bf 109 shot down WAY many more airplanes.

Yup, even back in the Battle of Britain, the Bf 109 shot down more Spitfires and Hurricanes than Spitfires and Hurricanes shot down Bf 109s, achieving a kill ratio of 1.2 to 1 in favour of the Bf 109s, but Fighter Command compared to the Luftwaffe had a greater kill ratio of just about 2 to 1, which is significant because the Brits were primarily after the bombers at any rate.

It's worth noting that Theo Osterkamp determined that to achieve victory over Fighter Command, a kill ratio of 5 to 1 was required - the Jagdgeschwader never got remotely close to that ratio.

Where is the museum you took the pic please?

Looks to me like the MLP in Cracow.

Yup, even back in the Battle of Britain, the Bf 109 shot down more Spitfires and Hurricanes than Spitfires and Hurricanes shot down Bf 109s, achieving a kill ratio of 1.2 to 1 in favour of the Bf 109s, but Fighter Command compared to the Luftwaffe had a greater kill ratio of just about 2 to 1, which is significant because the Brits were primarily after the bombers at any rate.

It's worth noting that Theo Osterkamp determined that to achieve victory over Fighter Command, a kill ratio of 5 to 1 was required - the Jagdgeschwader never got remotely close to that ratio.

Looks to me like the MLP in Cracow.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Don't thank me just yet, I've led you astray, it's in the Slovak Republic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back