Best/Favourate Tank in the west

Whats is the Best/your favourate tank from in North Africa

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The best tank will always be the one with the best combination of firepower, mobility protection, and the Pzkpfw.V Panther is considered the best tank of the war because of this.

Plenty of material for disagreement on this page :

Adler:
2. The Tiger and Panther had much better armor than just about anything the Western Allies put out in the field in any large numbers.
Tiger's armor was indeed in a league of its own when compared against Western tanks before Normandy, but all British infantry tanks carried armour tick enough to compete against the Panther's of the era.

Soren:

Don't know where to start

"as quickly as noone could've ever forseen"??? What a heck??? Were they developing Sputnik, or pieces of steel?
"blessed with the two best gun manufacturers in the world, Krupp Rheinmetall" ??? Sentences like that belong in the propaganda material of those companies, not in a WWII forum.
"in record breaking time"??? Both 7,5cm PaK40 and Tiger were in development before 1940, so no record-breaking here.

parsifal (while I agree with the most of the post):
I disagree. The Brits, Israelis, US and new European (Leo2 and Leclerc) opted for more armor, and then the gun engine as big as it's possible.
The Brits wanted the heaviest armor most notably, and their most successful tanks were the ones with the heaviest armor available. From Matilda on.
Added to that equation is the simple tyranny of numbers, quite simply the cheaper the tank, the more you can fild, the more you can fild, the more effective are your armoured formations.
The most expensive part of armor unit are not the tanks themselves, but the trained/experienced crews. If one puts them into the tinclads, the result would be disastrous in any war against a tough opponent.
But, since the bean counters (politicians) control the armed forces, for most of the countries the cheap tank is a good tank, so that's why T-55/Leo1/AMX-30 were so popular during the cold war.

Soren:
The best tank will always be the one with the best combination of firepower, mobility protection, and the Pzkpfw.V Panther is considered the best tank of the war because of this
Fire power was crappy for a 45 ton vehicle (HE shell was comparable with Pz-IV, weighting 20-22 tons), Valentine tank (under 20 tons!) had the same armour protection, the suspension was troublesome during the 1st year. And we haven't calculated the price yet.
If we want a German tank to be the best so badly, the Tiger Tiger II did have at least the fire power armor protection being top-notch.
The Panther might be considered by some as being the best, other people rate T-34, or Tiger II as the best.

Great post by plan_d

Soren, you are absolutely right about the Sherman being designed to withstand the (and destroy) the Pz.III but that wasn't it's one and only design point. The designers recognised the enemy of tanks, being tanks, and built the Sherman to remove that threat by being superior to it's opposition. The tank was not designed to be a breakthrough machine nor was it a tank hunter... the American chain of thought shines through with the Pershing, I cannot remember the exact quote but the High Command was disturbed by its high powered armament as they stated it would encourage crews to hunt down enemy tanks, and that was the job of the tank destroyer.

The MBT concept did not exist in World War II. The closest to the modern MBT concept came in the dying throws of World War - the Pershing, the Centurion and the IS-3. And for me the closest was the Centurion - but it certainly wasn't designed as a MBT. All World War II tanks were designed with a role in mind.

Hello Tomo Pauk
in fact Churchill Mk IV was almost as well armoured as Tiger, 88mm front and 76mm turret sides, 65 mm hull sides, some had 20mm appliqué armour added and Mk VII was clearly better armoured with 152mm front armour and 95mm side armour. Of course it was not equal to Tiger in tank vs tank duel because of its medium velocity 75mm gun.

Juha

So I see you doing a great disservice to the brave men that had to fight these behemoths when you appear to belittle their battlefiled effects by suggesting they are not that big a threat.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I find stories about Allied tankers 'running away' or refusing to combat Tigers or Panther extremely offensive. I have amassed a mountain of references on British Armoured Formations and their exploits in NW Europe 1944/45. In fact this area is my PRIMARY field. All the Tiger info and loss data arise from this reading. Stories about a Shermans 'sneaking' round the back of a Tiger while its 3 friends sacrifice themselves at the front have no basis in reality. Every time I see a story about a Tiger Ace swatting Shermans I ALWAYS check the original Units reports for that day. To date it appears these kill claims are grossly inflated and never match reality.

and to this point I believe you have disingenously dodged the issue, trying to label this forum as biased, one-eyed and the like.

I never said the FORUM was biased. I said this type of thread alway ends in tears IF SOMEONE DARES TO SAY THE TIGER WAS NOT 'THE BEST'. I am someone who does not think that. Over the years this has brought me a mountain of trouble. This very thread illustrates the problems. Therefore I find it is best to avoid saying it in a 'Best Tank' thread. My mistake was to break that silence. I have no problems talking about the specifics of any individaul action. If it is claimed Tiger 'X' knocked out 10 Shermans whilst surviving 12 frontal hits then I am only too happy to post the Unit accounts fron the Sherman Regiment said to have been the victim..

but it is annoying to watch you duck and weave, and avoid explaining yourself, which is to the detriment of the value of this forum.

I simply see no point in getting involved in pointless arguments. An opinion is an opinion and I have far better things to do than keep defending my 'opionion'.

Do not get butt hurt. You started it, I only responded to your post. Is it okay for you to talk to us in such a manner, but us not allowed to do the same to you?

I do not get offended or waste much worrying over slights.

Because you asked. It was a mistake that I will not repeat. I make no bones about my problems with the Uber-Panzer myths. I would say I am one of the few here(or anywhere) who bothers to check Allied accounts when the I see stories of multiple kills by a Tiger or Panther in Normandy.
This means I get a lot of grief from those who believe otherwise.
If I decline to admit the Tiger was the best of anything I get lots of 'advice' from those who think it was.
I can cope with it but it just seems a waste of time over nothing. That is why I chose not to contribute in these comparisons. I might post in the thead but I don't say X was better than Y because I don't really care which was best. longer, heavier ect. My interest is in what actualy happened, the outcome of a battle and the actual numbers of destroyed tanks.

If I am welcome or not is not my decision. I am me and no matter what anyone tells me here I can categoricaly tell you that refusing to say the Tiger was 'the best' generates heat on the majority of forums.
I do not think it was the best. I have my reasons but do not wish to keep going over them. My reasons are based on an overview of all aspects of a tanks role and not confined to technical aspects or performance in hyperthetical or contrived situations. I believe I take the wider view.

I don't think the Tiger was the best tank of the war either, I however don't seem to get a lot of heat for that, I wonder why? Maybe because I admit that it was a very strong tank which was a VERY big danger to any enemy tank it met? Maybe because I actually acknowledge that it had some excellent features?

You see that's the problem with you m_kenny, you NEVER, and I repeat, NEVER acknolwdge anything German. In the now 5 years that I've known you (Axis History forum) I have not seen you post as much as a single positive thing about any form of German equipment. Why is that ??

Now I am considered to be a pretty darn biased person by some people, but even I acknowledge a lot of Allied equipment. So why is it we NEVER see you do the same as regards to German equipment?

The closest to a MBT during WW2 is IMO the Panther, but ofcourse such a thing is debatable as like you rightly pointed out; there was no real MBT during WW2.

But lets not forget that the MBTs of today usually weigh around 70 tons and sport a lot of armour firepower, so perhaps they do have more in common with the German Tiger tanks than anything else. It certainly seems like the German approach has lived on when it comes to tank design.

The MBT concept was to begin with a tank which was to have good armour, firepower mobility, while not too much of anything, a recipe most western tank designs followed a good number of decades after the war. One good example being the M48 Patton tank. This whole line of thought however seemed to change when the Germans came up with the Leopard 2 tank in the 1970's. This tank sported a lot more armour protection than was usual with any other MBT then in service, and its main armament, the 120mm L/44 gun by Rheinmetall, was by then the most powerful main armament to be put on any tank in the world.

Hello Soren
IMHO Leo2 shows that Germans moved away from mobility and firepower oriented Leo1 towards British firepower and armour oriented designs while keeping the mobility aspect OK. In fact the move to better protected tanks was universal at least in West, casualty avoidance having to become much more important politically in West. After all from Centurion onwards British MBTs have had good protection and excellent guns, powertrain on the other hand being at least time to time a problem.

Juha

What I was trying to point out was that tanks today actually have more in common with tanks like the Tiger tank than anything else really, they're heavy, extremely well armed heavily armoured, just like the Tiger tank was in WW2. So the German approach has lived on.

Again, look at my key words. I said almost everything, not everything...

Then quit wasting our time as well as your time!

You see where other people are coming from in regards to you?

Last edited:
I don't think the Tiger was the best tank of the war either, I however don't seem to get a lot of heat for that, I wonder why?

Because you also say thing like they could survive 10 hits and then blow away any Allied tank with one return shot?

Maybe because I admit that it was a very strong tank which was a VERY big danger to any enemy tank it met? Maybe because I actually acknowledge that it had some excellent features?

And thus it follows that everyone MUST agree with this opinion and make a post acknowledging the same?

In the now 5 years that I've known you (Axis History forum) I have not seen you post as much as a single positive thing about any form of German equipment. Why is that ??

I don't remember making positive statements about any piece of equipment, Allied or German. As I said many times before I do not post in 'Which 'X' was best' threads. I think the real problem is that I defend Allied Units and Allied actions.

Now I am considered to be a pretty darn biased person by some people, but even I acknowledge a lot of Allied equipment. So why is it we NEVER see you do the same as regards to German equipment?

You are confused Your assumption that everything German is 'fab dabby dozy' reflex kicks in when you find posters who hold oppossing views. You further compound this error by assuming someone (i.e.me) who starts doing original reseach into claims that Wittmann knocked out 24 British tanks at Villers and Will Fey destroyed 14 Shermans on 7.8.44 must be anti-German. I am anti nothing but very pro truth. I am so confident in my ability to get the facts right that I never post under anything other than my real name. If I make a mistake them it is forever linked to me.

I can live with criticism because I take into account who is doing the criticising

I can live with criticism because I take into account who is doing the criticising

You know what is funny? That comment was not even directed at you. It was directed at Soren, because he gets the same **** as you do from the other members of the forum in other threads. Get over yourself, not everything revolves around you...

Also your smug arrogant attitude is not going to get you anywhere. Don't talk down to me, I am not an ignorant child. It is a showing of your character that you resort to such personal attacks (especially when the original comment was not directed at you). I have been civil with you this whole conversation, yet you choose to resort to this.

Last edited:
M_kenny that you haven't ever acknowledged Allied equipment is an outright lie, and if you continue to claim such a thing I will have no problem providing plenty of examples of your love for Allied equipment. You're as biased as they come.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:

I know I can seem very biased at times Adler, I think I've had that confirmed more than a few times by now. But atleast I do acknowledge Allied equipment just as I acknowledge German equipment. I just post a lot more info on German equipment than vice versa, that is where the confusion arrives from I believe. But I've decided to keep a cool head about insults from other members from now on, after all people are free to believe in what they want, so if insults start flying I'll simply just sieze to take part in the conversation.

M_kenny that you haven't ever acknowledged Allied equipment is an outright lie, and if you continue to claim such a thing I will have no problem providing plenty of examples of your love for Allied equipment. You're as biased as they come.

Feel free to post all the information you found where I say an Allied tank was is 'the best'. While you are at it remind me of all the times I said a Panther or Tiger were rubbish. Don't forget all the times I expressed my 'love' (undying or unrequited?) of anything

Also be so good as to expalin what you mean by 'acknowledge'. My reading is that this means "to admit to be real or true; recognize the existence, truth, or fact of". If so then I freely confess. I recognise that Allied equipment was real and existed. Finding anything where I say that German equipment did not exist or was not real is going to be a problem for you.

I find it comical that a simple refusal to say a Tiger was 'the best' is considered such a heinous crime.

Last edited:

I've been reading this thread for a while now, since you and Soren have gone back and forth.

NOBODY IS SAYING THAT YOU'RE COMMITTING A CRIME FOR SAYING THE TIGER ISN'T THE BEST. Nobody has said that, ever!

And you're treating VB with contempt for no reason.

What is your position? You keep saying that you don't think the Tiger is the best. Fair enough, I don't think it was either, I'm more partial to the Panther. I don't know enough to really discuss. But you don't really ever say which you DO think is the best. You've basically repeated the same thing over and over and over again without really stating your position, other than you feel like you're being singled out because you don't think the Tiger's the best, which is absolutely false!

If I'm out of line Chris, feel free to delete this.

OMG, let's bring this discussion back down to a normal level, please?

Yes, everybody is biased, me included; yes, I am partial to German equipment, just like Soren, and a lot of other people. Was it perfect? Far from it. Was it good? Qualitively, yes; quantitively, no. But you've got to hand it to the Germans: they produced some outstanding pieces of hardware. They certainly didn't win the War, but they made a good show.

In the end, it was quantity, not quality, that made the difference. However, this is all water under the bridge; yes, the Germans excelled in the area of advanced armaments but, as I said, this didn't win the War for them. We can certainly admire them for the many advances they made in the area of military hardware, but it was their flawed racial gestalt philosophy that ultimately brought them down.

Pretty sure, I never mentioned anything about the Sherman data, it made sense to me.

A bit like the Curate's egg then?

And you're treating VB with contempt for no reason..

In my opinion(much as I hate giving one!) VB is playing a game.

My position is to intervene when I see something I know to be incorrect. The likes of 10 hits bouncing of a Tiger or how many hits it took to knock out a German tank. I posted the contents of Allied studies done in 1944 that show the actual number of strikes on each destroyed tank. Information you would think was beyond dispute.
A few posters have taken grave exception to the fact I will not say the Tiger was 'best'.
That about sums it up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread