best fighter of ww II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

P-38 took speed. P-38 took climb easily. Also range (excepting photo varients which the P-38 EASILY outgunned). The P-38 was also more maneuverable.

Lightning or Mosquito ? To hell with that ! They were both good craft. The Mossie was disigned especially for dive-bombing missions, while the P-38 was more a fighter than a bomber.

For me, the best all-rounder plane was the Spitfire Mk. IX. Fast, one of the most (if isn't the most) manoeuvrable plane of the war. It could handle anything the Luftwaffe had. and with its three variants (8 x303 or 2 x 20mm cannons + 4 x 303 or 4 x 20mm cannons), it could almost destroy anything in air, on sea or on the ground. (Because it could carries 2 x 250 lbs bombs.)

That is the kind of plane I like.

Actually the different armament is on account of the wings.

Also, it could carry 1x 500lb bomb, 2x 250lb bombs.

The thing about it being able to take on any OKL aircraft, there isn't much chance for it to take down a Dora or Ta-152 at high alt or an Fw-190 A-6 down low.

GermansRGeniuses said:
Actually the different armament is on account of the wings.

Also, it could carry 1x 500lb bomb, 2x 250lb bombs.

The thing about it being able to take on any OKL aircraft, there isn't much chance for it to take down a Dora or Ta-152 at high alt or an Fw-190 A-6 down low.

Thanks for the extra info on the Mk. IX.

Of corse it could not easily take down a Dora or Ta-152... But it was still competitive against them ! And the first marks of FW-190s were outclassed by the Mk. IX.

At least, that's my opinion.

Lightning Guy said:
And there were plenty of things that WEREN'T going to be destroyed by 2 x 250lb and 1 x 500lb bombs.

That's why I said "almost everything". Of corse, two 250 lbs or one 500 lbs bomb(s) can't destroy a bunker (for example). But that's why bombers exists ! After all, isn't the topic of this thread "Best fighter of WWII" ?

Hmmm... I never heard about that Mark... Are you sure it isn't Mk. XIV instead of Mk. XVI ?

Anyway, the Mk. XIV was not bad. It had a Griffon engine that was more powerful than the Merlin. However, I don't like it's bubble canopy. I prefer the good old Malcom hood... The plane was looking better.

Why don't you like Clipped-Wing Spits? They look mean, and their low-level agility was superb!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back