best fighter of ww II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The daylight raids couldn't have been (and were) continued with the P-38. P-38s were the first Allied fighters over Berlin. Unfortunately they were never available in the ETO in the numbers really required.

And don't forget they were screaming for them in the MTO where they were facing essentially the same opposition they were facing in the ETO.

I dont know about the Med, but the reason they were screamin in the PTO was because the planes they were usin were crap vs the Zero....

I dont think the planes that were bein used in the Med by the Allies were crap...

And as far as i know, there was only one unit that transitioned from -47's to the -38.... All the others transtioned OUT of the -38 and into a new replacement aircraft... Not really typical of the "Best Fighter"...

But only the P-38 had the range to hit targets over the Med. And it was in the MTO that the P-38 earned the nicknamed "Fork-tailed Devil." It should also be noted that by the time the P-38L was arriving in Europe the decision had already been made to switch to the P-51. That decision probably had more to do with economics (P-51s being cheaper to build and maintain) that with performance.

numerous twin engined bombers and a couple of fighters (pricipally the beau) had the range for the med, the P-38 wasn't the only one...............

I dont really believe that... In all circles that I have read about, or watched, the P-51 was generally superior to the P-38 (except maybe the pilots that flew -38's...) which is why they implemented the transition... ...

any documentary will tell you that all pilots loved the P-51 and said it was a pilot's dream, and that it was the best plane they ever flew, some of those men had already flown the P-38.........................

you coulod still argue with a "crap ass" pilot (of which there were none), he's flown both with the same skill and can tell which is better to fly/fight in.....................

Users who are viewing this thread