Best Helicopter

What is the best Helicopter?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I know Adler you love your Blackhawk, but I'll say the Huey seems a little simpler (obviously). I worked on Hueys since 95' and for the most part, just make sure they're greased, there's oil in the 42 and 90 degree gearboxes, the transmission is in good shape and the engine passes the hitt test and it seem they're gonna fly forever!

When I was in the Navy Resreve there was a unit that had Seahawks right next to my squadron. It seemed these guys always busted hump to keep their birds flying. When my old shop supervisor made Chief, he asked me if I wanted to go over to that squadron. I'm not lazy, but when I seen those guys working all hours to keep those Seahawks up, I said thanks, but no thanks!

Oh do not take me wrong. I love the Huey. It is actually what I wanted, but the army would not let me anymore because they are phasing them out.

You are correct the Huey is far more simple and that is what made it a great aircraft. There was not much on it to break and she will deffinatly keep flying for many many more years to come. She is more then likely the best helicopter to ever fly. Hell the first prototype flew in 1954 come on that is 51 years of service all over the world. She is still today the most used aircraft in the world.

The problem with the Seahawk is she based off of the old UH-60A and even in the army they can be a pain to work on. There are just too many systems and the more you have the more that can break. The UH-60L, HH-60L, and the UH-60M that are being built today have been made better from what was learned from the UH-60A and now are much less susceptable to break. They do still break more than the Huey though obviously. I believe the Navy is also getting a newer Seahawk now also.

The one that I like the most is the Wasp/Scout because they were so overengineered they seemed almost unbreakable. One saying was that if you could pour it and set fire to it, a Wasp would run on it.
Best I think the Lynx takes some beating. Speed, agility and a decent load carrying ability. Could have done a realy good attack version with a little imagination (thinking HueyCobra).

The aircrat that can take the most beating is the UH-1 Huey. You could literally fly her into the ground and she would keep going. There were Huey's in Vietnam that took rockets and kept going. She brought so many people home when they had nothing left.

Pretty much as long as you take care of a Huey she will take care of you.

Damn. One of our older pilots had a cyclic hardover in one. The other pilot was killed and he got cut pretty bad on the neck. Now he flies Hawks and misses his Huey.

Mine too!

Attachments

• huey_599.jpg
    huey_599.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 442
I agree with you on that. She may not be the fastest or the most maneuverable or carry the most load but she is a beaut of an aircraft and she will never let you down.

Exactly. My Cousins owe it to the Hueys for saving their butts. I had one 2nd cousin to fight at Hamburger Hill, Vietnam. Im going to try and get some information on his service very soon.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
I agree with you on that. She may not be the fastest or the most maneuverable or carry the most load but she is a beaut of an aircraft and she will never let you down.

well..yes :) as far as i know.. could a huey take really much hits before going down :)
casper-Huey-14.jpg

Huey that took some direct hit from mortar rounds April
1970 LZ English

source: http://www.173rdairborne.net/casper6.htm

but still you cans see much damage :)

Archangel said:

well..yes :) as far as i know.. could a huey take really much hits before going down :)
casper-Huey-14.jpg

Huey that took some direct hit from mortar rounds April
1970 LZ English

source: http://www.173rdairborne.net/casper6.htm

but still you cans see much damage :)

Yes I dont know of another helicopter that can take that much damage. A Blackhawk comes pretty close to it only because it has back up systems for its backup systems but even the Apache can be brought down very easily. On an air assault that we did one time one of the Apaches that was covering our aircraft took one round from an AK-47 and it brought it down. Sounds crazy but I assure you it is true, just one lucky shot.

It will still be some time till they get rid of them completely. The National Guard still has them, and the Medivac unit that my buddy is going to at Fort Polk still has Huey's.

On an air assault that we did one time one of the Apaches that was covering our aircraft took one round from an AK-47 and it brought it down. Sounds crazy but I assure you it is true, just one lucky shot.

Dude! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back