Best Helicopter

What is the best Helicopter?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That`s a term of endearment for us hookers :)

Yeah us Blackhawk guys do not really mind you guys. We just hate the Apache guys, but I am sure that you guys do not like them either! :lol:

By the way here is a pic of me with my bird (this pic is of course several years old...:lol:):

Attachments

• n507622205_941004_2950.jpg
    n507622205_941004_2950.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 44
Voted for the Mi-8; it may be the only chopper for the armed force if needed.

Yes a UH-1, a hell of a lot more dependable than either one....

I was kidding, and you are right, I do like the UH-1, for a lot of its the choppers that we worked with. Ive spent some time in and around the two i chose, and sort of see them as best friends rather than pieces of equipment. I tend to get a bit that way I guess

Sure :)
It is a cargo 'copter, then ground attack (with up to 6 ATGMs), ESM/ECM machine...For the more complete list of variants:
Mil Mi-8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can name several helicopters that can do more than that and better.

Mi-8 is not a bad aircraft, but I would seriously doubt it being the best.

From the option pool, AH-64, AH-1 and OH-53 can't haul the cargo, so those aren't the choice for the best in my eyes.
Further, Stallion and Chinook don't make any good gunships, so those are no choices.
Lynx, Hind and Huey are decent ships, yet Mi-8 surpasses them in cargo carrying ability.
Finally, that leaves is with UH-60L and Mi-8 as far as options from this poll go. I've picked Hip because of greater cargo cabin and rear doors (ramp in latest version). My guess is that price is also lower.

From the option pool, AH-64, AH-1 and OH-53 can't haul the cargo, so those aren't the choice for the best in my eyes.
Further, Stallion and Chinook don't make any good gunships, so those are no choices.
Lynx, Hind and Huey are decent ships, yet Mi-8 surpasses them in cargo carrying ability.
Finally, that leaves is with UH-60L and Mi-8 as far as options from this poll go. I've picked Hip because of greater cargo cabin and rear doors (ramp in latest version). My guess is that price is also lower.

You make a good argument for the Mi-8, I will still take the UH-60 over the Mi-8 any day. Here is why:

1. UH-60 is more survivable.

2. UH-60 might have a smaller cabin, but due to its more powerful engines can still carry more cargo (in weight).

Mi-8: 3,000 kg (6,600 lb) max. on internal and external loads.
UH-60: 1,200 kg (2,646 lb) internally or 4,082 kg (9,000 lb) externally.

3. UH-60 can carry a larger weapons platform, including 16 Hellfire missiles and 2 Mini Guns.

4. Mi-8 is underpowered.

5. UH-60 will outperform a Mi-8 any day.

Of course in the end it does not matter. The two aircraft perform completely different roles.

You make a good argument for the Mi-8, I will still take the UH-60 over the Mi-8 any day. Here is why:

1. UH-60 is more survivable.

Please explain why.

2. UH-60 might have a smaller cabin, but due to its more powerful engines can still carry more cargo (in weight).

Mi-8: 3,000 kg (6,600 lb) max. on internal and external loads.
UH-60: 1,200 kg (2,646 lb) internally or 4,082 kg (9,000 lb) externally.

Latest versions of Mi-8 can carry 4500kg, so Hip wins by a narrow margin.

3. UH-60 can carry a larger weapons platform, including 16 Hellfire missiles and 2 Mini Guns.

Mi-8 carries ATGMs, 12,7mm, unguided rockets. So at least they're even.

4. Mi-8 is underpowered.

Maybe, but not something acute.

5. UH-60 will outperform a Mi-8 any day.

Agree.

Of course in the end it does not matter. The two aircraft perform completely different roles.

I'd say that basic role for both of them is to haul the cargo; too bad Cougar is not included in the poll.

I'd say that basic role for both of them is to haul the cargo; too bad Cougar is not included in the poll.

...or the Gazelle and the Puma. I've seen the Puma at several Paris airshows and I was very impressed with it, damn fast too! Both the Gazelle and the Puma have had long service.

...or the Gazelle and the Puma. I've seen the Puma at several Paris airshows and I was very impressed with it, damn fast too! Both the Gazelle and the Puma have had long service.
Both true, but both have had issues with rotor hub and rotor blade life. Additionally, they could be electrical nightmares. I've been around a Gazelle and worked on A Stars - good birds but they ain't a Huey.

tomo pauk said:
Please explain why.

It is the way the aircraft are designed. The structure and the components. The UH-60 has backups for the backups for the backups and is made from better materials that are made better to withstand ballistics.

I am basing this from experience working with both aircraft.

tomo pauk said:
Latest versions of Mi-8 can carry 4500kg, so Hip wins by a narrow margin.

The UH-60M which is entering service now and equipped with the latest T700-GE-701D is also capable of loads of up to 4,500 kg (9,920 lb).

tomo pauk said:
Mi-8 carries ATGMs, 12,7mm, unguided rockets. So at least they're even.

UH-60 can be equipped with:

M60D Machine Guns
M240H Machine Guns
M134 Mini Guns
GAU-19 .50 Gatling Guns
M139 Volcano Mine System
M230 30mm Chain Gun
AGM-114 Hellfire Guided Missiles
Hydra 70 2.75in (70mm) Rockets

tomo pauk said:

UH-60 is more of a Utility helicopter than a cargo helicopter. The Mi-8 leans more toward a cargo helicopter in my opinion, hence its design with the rear ramp and so forth.

The Gazelle is a great little helicopter, but due to its small design it is limited in what it can do. Fun helicopter to fly around in though.

I do however disagree with you on the Puma. I got a chance to work with some French Puma's in Kosovo and I was not impressed with them. They were not a bad aircraft but nothing special.

Now if you mentioned the Super Puma, I will agree with you. The Super Puma is a great aircraft. It will outperform most of what is out there at the moment in its class. We actually raced a Swiss Army Super Puma one time, and we only barely beat her. I am convinced to this day that the pilot of the Super Puma let us beat them (and the fact that the person in the tower that day was a friend of ours who gave us clearance to land first...:lol:).

I voted for the UH-1 only because it initiated a whole new method of warfare.

I don't know much about helicopters exept that they fly using mirrors and smoke.:confused:

I'd vote for the V-22 if she was up there, but I'm probably just a little bit biased!

Dave - if you think helos fly using smoke and mirrors, check out the flight control system for the Osprey :lol:

Don't make good gunships? You ever heard of the ACH-47? Twin 20mm cannons PLUS 2.75" rocket launchers PLUS chin-mounted 40mm grenade launcher PLUS three (3) pintle-mounted .50-cal's, PLUS extra ammo for all of the above. If that's not a well-armed gunship, I don't known what is.

ach-47a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back