best kind of frame for news paper?? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bobbysocks

Chief Master Sergeant
Feb 28, 2010
Pennsylvania
i have a couple news papers i want to finally get around to framing. i guess i need to showcase the entire front page as the article takes up almost 3/4s of it. plus there are autographs on it that extend down below the top half. so i have a couple questions:

is there a good frame that will do that? any recommendations?

i have the spray preserver. i imagine since it wont make news paper ink bleed it SHOULDNT make pen ink bleed. am i correct in assuming that?

do i need to preserve the whole paper for futher value? what i think maybe of any value is just the front page with the autographs. its not a ny times or any major paper. its just a small town rag that covered an event.

any suggestions and advice would be welcomed...especially if you have done this before. thanks

I collect old news papers dating back to the 1500's and it really depends on what kind of paper. Ideally if you really want to keep it for a long time, do not frame it and put it on display in a picture frame. Sunlight and moister will do a number on them. Up until the mid to late 1800's most paper had a high rag content, after that it was more wood pulp which means more acid which means even more of a challenge to preserve.

I store mine in portfolios I purchase from Storage Display Options - RareNewspapers.com.

Here is a issue of the London Gazette from October 9th, 1673.
IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

If you want the best of both worlds, store the original in a portfolio and display a copy of it.

However if you still want to frame it:

Some people like to have their special newspapers framed and hang them on the wall for decoration. If you do, keep these factors in mind:
• Hang it on a wall that does not get direct sunlight, such as a hallway or basement wall
• Have it framed with an acid-free backing board and matt
• Use only glass that has UV ray protection (this will help but you still need to keep it from direct sunlight exposure)
HistoryBuff.com -- How to preserve historic newspapers

I would try to keep the entire paper as you will have a bigger market to sell it to.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Use a museum quality glass. It cuts U.V. and will help prevent aging.

but, I'd take VB's advice, store the originals , and display copies. Depending on the value, this way you could have the originals stored in a fire-proof safe, but still be able to view them.

Take it to a professional framer.......
Everything in contact needs to be acid free mate.
Including any adhesive, or preservative.

I agree. My other half works in Public Relations and sometimes has articles framed as presentation pieces. They are done professionally, taking care of the various issues mentioned by others already.

Cheers

Steve

thanks guys i will look around to see if there is a pro framing place around. if not i will probably get the folders VB's link has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back