Best naval fighter II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK are there any known clashes with the shiden and Corsair? Let's try to look at it as what happened. Also the Shiden was out numbered and its repair and replacemnt ability were limited and under fire.

Did the F8F get to the Pacific? ;)

VF-19 equipped with the Bearcat in May of 1945 and was underway for the Pacific when the war ended. I haven't seen any action reports on Shidens vs. Corsairs. Most things I have seen on the Shiden state that it was superior to "most US ship-borne fighters." I assume that means the Hellcat, leaving the Corsair as at least the equal of the Shiden. Of course, I think any combat results would have been a little skewed as the Shiden was given to the very best pilots the Japanese had left.

Why not give your best stuff to the best. with limited planes and crews it needs to go as fare as posible. The F8F did do well in Korea, but the time of piston engines was goinmg to a close. :(

Ok I read the freanch useing it post war. But was that in the 50s? The Fresnch were in indoChina for a very long and painful time, more so then the Americans. :(

I think the French and the Americans were involved in Indochina/Vietnam for about the same length of time. French military action there began in the early fifties and had been concluded for some time before the Americans became involved there.

And so the French used the Bearcats eg. in the battle for Dien Bien Phu 1954 as an "air artillery".

The F8F was good at pretty much anything. It was very fast on the level or in the climb and could literally fly rings around anything else in US service at the time. A match-up between the Shiden or Reppu and the Bearcat would have produced some wonderful dogfights.

Most effect: F6F Hellcat. Don't argue, it's true. Even the R.N.F.A.A. bought them in spades.

The F8F Bearcat was the better plane, though. I also think that the Goodyear F2G-2 Super Corsair was pretty cool.

Lightning Guy said:
I haven't seen any action reports on Shidens vs. Corsairs.

Full Shinden production was ordered a few days before Hiroshima was hit, so they were just tooling up when the surrender came down.

Schrage Muzik said:
Full Shinden production was ordered a few days before Hiroshima was hit, so they were just tooling up when the surrender came down.

There were almost 1000 _Shidens_ built (deliveries starting in early 1944), and 400+ of the Shiden Kai (Improved), with delivery starting in July 44.

A Shiden kai once engaged 12 Hellcats and shot down 4 of them before the rest were driven away.

dead parrot said:
deliveries starting in early 1944

And the most interesting thing is that Shiden appeared as an idea of Kawanishi itself, not the Kaigun Koku Hombu. The KKH had an aversion to it, because Shiden was not KKHs' idea.
This fact caused at least one year delay in production of Shiden. If J2M Raiden wouldn't have been urged by KKH (and than the J3K1/J6K1) Shiden will surely had saw action in early 1944.

dead parrot said:
Schrage Muzik said:

There were almost 1000 _Shidens_ built (deliveries starting in early 1944), and 400+ of the Shiden Kai (Improved), with delivery starting in July 44.

A Shiden kai once engaged 12 Hellcats and shot down 4 of them before the rest were driven away.

I was under the impression that that is a legend.

I certainly believe it. The Hellcat was rugged but against four 20mm it'll just disintergrate, and the Shiden was more manuverable.

Schrage Muzik said:
dead parrot said:
Schrage Muzik said:

I was under the impression that that is a legend.

I think you're confused...

Shiden~Best Japanese fighter of the war. N1K1/N1K2 [improved]

Shinden~Interesting Japanese prototype armed with four 30mm cannons, equipped with a pusher prop and candard foreplanes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back