Best naval fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Viper said:
if it wernt for the americans there would be no corsair.
Well, If werent for Corsair designer Rex Beisl who work for Vought, There would be no F4U Corsair and USN/USMC will probably having trouble against Japanese, but F6F Hellcat would better without F4U Corsair and beside F6F Hellcat got more kills than F4U Corsair, but again F4U Production more than F6F Hellcat lol.

BTW Hot Space, Thanks! :D

correction lanc.....they wouldnt be able to land it on a carrier,it was doing just fine without the britesh on land bases

and rafe.....i dont see any tv shows or movies other than documenturys with britesh corsairs in them,my point is lots of people remember corsairs for black sheep and the jolly rodgers,britesh corsairs are not remembered very much or at all sometimes,they were made famous by the americans and dont i denie it

and the navy could have held out with hellcats and the bearcat or some other fighter would have came out

Viper said:
and rafe.....i dont see any tv shows or movies other than documenturys with britesh corsairs in them,my point is lots of people remember corsairs for black sheep and the jolly rodgers,britesh corsairs are not remembered very much or at all sometimes,they were made famous by the americans and dont i denie it
Man, I really don't care about TV Shows or Movies that talkin' about some famous squadron and sure British Corsair are not remembered, but how about this? "Gone but not forgotten"

Check it out on this site you should know about FAA Corsair history: http://fleetairarmarchive.net/Aircraft/Corsair.htm

There are two Royal Navy Ace in World War II and they flow Corsair II on HMS Victorious in January 1945. Corsairs for FAA didnt last long until 1946 and they were replace by either Sea Fury or other British new Navy Fighter.

Major Ronald C. Hay, of No 47 Wg. (7 kills and 4 Damage)
Sub Lt Donald J Sheppard, of No 1836 Sqn (5 kills and 1 Damage)

Don't forget Lt. Gray, while not an ace, a distinguished Corsair pilot. He was Canadian and recipient of the Victoria Cross for his actions on an attack against shipping in Onagawa Wan (sp?). He led his squadron in through heavy AA. He picked out the Amakusa, as he bore down on it the Amakusa, Ohama, a Minesweeper, and a Subchaser fired at him. His Corsair caught fire and one bomb was shot off of it, he continued his attack and dropped his remaining bomb. It penetrated the Amakusa below the No 2 gun, exploded inside the ship and it quickly rolled over and sank. As Lt Gray flew away from the Amakusa after dropping his bomb, his Corsair burst into flames and his aircraft crashed into the ocean.
While his final flight was in 115*X, I recall reading that 119*X was his normal mount, but it had a problem that morning so he switched to 115*X.
http://www.navalmuseum.ab.ca/gray.html

In addition to Lt Gray and Sub Lt Sheppard, who were Canadians that flew Corsairs with the FAA, while looking for more details on Lt Gray's mission, I also found that the last Canadian to die in WWII, Lt G.A. Anderon, also flew Corsairs. On approach after a second strike on Onagawa Bay several hours after Lt. Gray went down, Lt Anderson's engine faltered and the plane hit the rounddown and he died in the collision.

Rafe's link is also a great site for info about FAA Corsairs.

they were made famous by the americans and dont i denie it
i realise they were best remembered for their role in the east, i'm just sayin, we taught them how to land it on carriers

Viper, i know its deeply painful for any American to accept.... but without help from abroad (both British and Russian) one of the best fighters of the war wouldn't have been as versatile....you can't deny that it was hardly a pure American effort...in fact you yanks can't even boast that the P-51 Mustang (arguably your most famous fighter) was entirely yours...it had a British made engine in it!!!! :twisted:

Archer said:
Don't forget Lt. Gray, while not an ace, a distinguished Corsair pilot. He was Canadian and recipient of the Victoria Cross for his actions on an attack against shipping in Onagawa Wan (sp?). He led his squadron in through heavy AA. He picked out the Amakusa, as he bore down on it the Amakusa, Ohama, a Minesweeper, and a Subchaser fired at him. His Corsair caught fire and one bomb was shot off of it, he continued his attack and dropped his remaining bomb. It penetrated the Amakusa below the No 2 gun, exploded inside the ship and it quickly rolled over and sank. As Lt Gray flew away from the Amakusa after dropping his bomb, his Corsair burst into flames and his aircraft crashed into the ocean.
While his final flight was in 115*X, I recall reading that 119*X was his normal mount, but it had a problem that morning so he switched to 115*X.
http://www.navalmuseum.ab.ca/gray.html

In addition to Lt Gray and Sub Lt Sheppard, who were Canadians that flew Corsairs with the FAA, while looking for more details on Lt Gray's mission, I also found that the last Canadian to die in WWII, Lt G.A. Anderon, also flew Corsairs. On approach after a second strike on Onagawa Bay several hours after Lt. Gray went down, Lt Anderson's engine faltered and the plane hit the rounddown and he died in the collision.

Rafe's link is also a great site for info about FAA Corsairs.
Hmm I forgot about that and British are pretty good to fly their Corsair as American do. :D

Kiwi's too. The Kiwi's were mopping up the islands bypassed by the Yanks in the Solomons and the area around their until the war's end. The were about to move over to the CBI theater I think when the war ended. I think the Kiwi's were probably more forgotten than the FAA.

Archer said:
Kiwi's too. The Kiwi's were mopping up the islands bypassed by the Yanks in the Solomons and the area around their until the war's end. The were about to move over to the CBI theater I think when the war ended. I think the Kiwi's were probably more forgotten than the FAA.
RNZAF right? They were pretty forgotten and many people dont know what Kiwi is which it seem feel pretty bad that they have fought against Japanese in WWII as FAA and USA did. They flow many aircraft such as P-40 Warhawk, F4F-4 Wildcat, Seafire and other nation aircraft.

RNZAF is correct.

I have the Vought history site in my favourites, the most useful ones for Corsairs are http://www.vought.com/heritage/products/html/mono.html for some pics and info and http://www.vought.com/heritage/photo/html/pmono.html for just pics. I had found another one probably about a year ago, it was simple (ie 10 pics or so per page, white BG, and a simple table with pics and captions) that had many of the pics from the above sights, but some were larger (1024*768 and bigger). I think it was the Vought site, but I'm not certain. If it was its unfortunate that the Vought site only has smaller pics now.

It doesn't matter who BUILT the damn engines - the point is they were BRITISH and even IF you put aside the engine argument the planes we mentioned still relied on British intervention to become the best fighters - it really is as simple as that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back