Best naval fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Zero was awesome while they had good pilots, I've heard their gunnery skills were so good that they could aim for the pilot, and hit them a fair amount of the time. It was a sweet plane, but without armor and a relatively light armament, it had many flaws once the Americans devised tactics to keep themselves somewhat safer.

Rafe35 said:
I dont like any Japanese Fighter, I dont know why lol.

I wouldn't be too quick to criticise Jap planes if i were you mate...if it weren't for stiff Jap resistance in the Pacific arguably there would have been no need to design your beloved Corsair...think about it ;)

Cause and Effect

mitsubishia6mzero.jpg

IMO possibly the single best naval fighter of ww2

Kiwimac

and i think the hellcat is being left out here

A6M2 Zero I believe. They were great, but they had nor armour or self-sealing fuel tanks which is very bad, especially when the enemy's aircraft are generally quite tough, fast, powerful (especially against an unarmoured plane), and dive faster. Zeroes are beautiful planes and were quite good in the opening days of the war, but soon effective tactics were employed by the allies, and once the US evaluated one in flight, it was in some serious trouble as even better tactics were discovered.

bronzewhaler82 said:
Rafe35 said:
I dont like any Japanese Fighter, I dont know why lol.

I wouldn't be too quick to criticise Jap planes if i were you mate...if it weren't for stiff Jap resistance in the Pacific arguably there would have been no need to design your beloved Corsair...think about it ;)

Cause and Effect
If the Japanese did not attack Pearl Habor then Vought F4U Corsair will still go on, because there's a war over England and Great Britiian probably need F4U Corsair for FAA, but again, I dont know that would happened. There are so many "What If in WWII" questions and I doubt that would really happened. :?:

Well you have to consider it from the point of view that most of the warplane designs (if not all) surfaced becuase there was a specific need for that type of plane. For example the DH Mosquito was made almost entirely of wood (an idea that was laughable at the time) but that "wooden wonder" went on to become arguably the best fighter/bomber of WW2 (bare in mind it was still in service around the world well into the 50's when Jets ruled the skies) but it was designed that way becuase the British Gov at the time needed a lightweight bomber that could outrun german fighters BUT they didn't have alot of materials for mass producing planes so wood was used - we didn't have lots of steel but more than enough trees...my point to this long-winded story is that the US spawned the Corsair (with international assistance :D ) because their planes were having a bit of 'trouble' comparing to Japanese planes (the Japs had some amazing planes and i think us brits are lucky we didn't have them as our neighbours instead of Germany) my point is the Corsair WAS born out of nessasity rather than because Vought wanted a new fighter designed - so if it wasn't NEEDED by the Americans i doubt very much it was NEEDED by anyone else (The Brits had the Germans airforce under control) - the corsair was one of the best planes of the war and no-one could argue otherwise (without looking very silly) but all i'm saying is it might not have been built if it weren't for the stubborness of the Japanese...BUT you are quite correct there are too many 'what ifs' in this war and its ridiculus to bother with them :lol:

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back