Best naval fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i'm bot sure, i would have said it was a T-6 converted to look like a Zero proberly for a film, but for the long landing gear which the T-6 didn't have, so it's a close one to call......................

I think it doesn't quite look like an A6M Zero cos of the camera angle and the fact that the cockpit is open :?: you don't often see photos of them with their wheels down either

the US spawned the Corsair (with international assistance)
Would someone who keeps mentionning this please tell me what this international (or British) assistance was? Unless its just the landing approach, which I'm sure that after several casualties on straight in approaches like the Brits had before they changed to lining up at the last moment, even the yanks would have figured it out quite quickly :lol:

As to the Corsair being designed in response to 'trouble' with the Japanese planes, you're quite wrong :D

In 1938 the US Navy had decided that the time was long overdue to bring carrier-based aviation up to the same performance level as land-based aircraft. On 30 June 1938 the US Navy ordered teh Grumman XF5F-1 and the Vought XF4U-1, while a third aircraft, the Bell XFL-1, was ordered laster on 8 November. The XF5F-2 was the first twin-engine, single-seat aircraft to be built for the Navy, while the Bell XFL-1 was a carrier-based version of the P-39 Airacobra...After just over 200 flights the XF5F-1 project was abandonned in favour of the XF7F-1, which later became the Tigercat. Equally, the Bell machine, first flown on 13 May 1940, was not proceeded with either... on 29 May 1940 the yellow-and-silver painted XF4U-1 was ready for its first flight

As you can see, the US Navy had the Corsair design specs laid out before WWII broke out (excluding the Japanese invasion of China though) and it's first flight was before the US engaged in air combat with the Japanese. Also, the Zero's capabilities were unknown to the US until they captured one in the Aleutians, and the general belief in the US leading up to the war was that the Japanese couldn't make a decent combat aircraft (which they were extremely wrong about ;) ). While Chennault was in China from 37 or so, any information he may have passed on to the US wasn't distributed to the pilots AFAIK.

I know that the first orders were placed for Corsairs in 1941...but didn't fly til 1942...you're telling me it took the yanks 4 years to design this aircraft?? Christ even the FRENCH could've designed and perfected it in that time! :D

As for presenting you with the info on how the Brits and the Russians (shock :shock: ) helped the Americans design the plane...do the research yourself you lazy bugger! :lol: but as you can see scrolling through previous entires in different threads it is a widely known fact...i first heard about it on a history program on the BBC but can't really remember details the Americans could'nt work out the problems themselves so the Brits had to sort it for them - thats all i know - as for the Russians i don't even know if thats true - someone else on this thread mentioned it but of course it could be a wind up 8) check for youself buddy - i'm a sure a 'die hard' fan of the corsair like yourself would love the chance to find out how great our British Engineers were ;)

i agree but i can see where the lanc got his ideas of it being a converted texan because when the cockpit is slid back it becomes framed like a texans but i can definetly say it IS a zero

Reichsmarschall Batista

I found some info about Tora! Tora! Tora! which they use some of T-6 Texan in the movie, but i aint sure lol

Tora Tora Tora used modified T-6s. I have the DVD and they say it in an interview. Also, after they point it out, and that the wings are swept wrong, its actually quite obvious (one had the leading edge swept and the trailing relatively straight, the other was the opposite).

You want to see a T-6--Zero photo go to Axl's plane gallery and look up the Zero. Several pics are Tora Tora Harvards.

bronzewhaler82 said:
I know that the first orders were placed for Corsairs in 1941...but didn't fly til 1942...you're telling me it took the yanks 4 years to design this aircraft?? Christ even the FRENCH could've designed and perfected it in that time! :D

through previous entires in different threads it is a widely known fact...i first heard about it on a history program on the BBC but can't really remember details the Americans could'nt work out the problems themselves so the Brits had to sort it for them - thats all i know - (well you dont noe squat then)

I cant belive u!!!! that is the most anel thing i have heard all day,

you guys the corsair was an AMERICAN PLANE not britesh,the fixed the gear,the americans would have fixed it later,dont try and make it sound britesh cuz it just isnt,just looking at it and you can tell its american,and then you retaliate to me by writeing some 15 page quote on how the britesh "improved" the corsair,well they didnt make it so dont say anything just dont ur taking a true american plane and trying to britanise it

Rafe35 said:
I found some info about Tora! Tora! Tora! which they use some of T-6 Texan in the movie, but i aint sure lol
ya they jus converted them,a harvard is very very simmalar to a zero

harvard=a canadian version of a t-6,very popular up here,there is lots of them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back