Best naval fighter (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, I always go Vought website where my friend told me that they Corsair picture which I was looking for it long time and now I found it. They show alot Prototype Corsair picture that i never see before, but too bad that I cannot find Goodyear or Brewster prototype corsair.

What Itznogood post that F2G-2 Super Corsair:

B.U. #88463: Race No. 74: Civil Race No. "NX5577N"
Cook purchased this F2G-2 on 2-05-47 for $1,250. It was flown by Cook and by his friend Richard Becker. #74 was sold to Walter Soplata, of Newberry, Ohio. This F2G was acquired by the Crawford Museum in Cleveland, Ohio. Bob Odergaard of Kindred, N.D. is restoring the a./c. to static condition.

and Itznogood again post that Brewster F3A-1D Corsair:

Brewster only make 735 F3A-1s(F4U-1) Model and the business was not so well, so they went out of business after production of F3As. Probably why they went went out of business because so many problem on F2A Buffloes and F3A Corsair. Many US Navy and US Marines Corps really hate F2A Buffloes because they were so crude and had so many problems like engine, etc.

im not american,im canadian,and lanc u did not teach them how to land,u fixed it

the thing is,sure the britesh fixed the gear and used them in the eto. But the americans did more damage with them,the americans would have evetually fixed it

VF-17 solved the oleo problem and almost all Corsairs afterwards until F4U-1Ds I think had it included in the field mods (oleo fix amongst other things) before gonig overseas or before fighting as opposed to being done in the factory. I've also read that a VMF squadron (I forget which one, probably -124 sine it was the first Marine squadron with Corsairs) also more or less did the same thing independently of Vought/VF-17 (Edit: VF(N)-101 made independent oleo mods, maybe not a VMF squadron).

Everything I've seen about the FAA regarding oleo problems just says
they made the modification, not that they solved it. The first FAA squadrons sailed to the US for training in late May 1943. VF-17 started their carrier qualifications, which one can assume was after the oleo fix was done, on May 1, 1943.

Archer is right about VF-17 solved the problem and BTW Archerm VF(N)-101 use F4U-2 night fighter, is that correct?

just dont try and make the corsair sound like a pure britesh fighter,because it wasnt,the spitfire and hurricane were

VF(N)-101 was equipped with F4U-2s. No one liked them (or the night fighter squadrons on other carriers with F6F-3Es) because it meant more work after a very long day all for one or two planes (moving the planes on deck for take off and again for landing). The task group commander insisted on launching one or two night fighters whenever a bogey was picked up on radar. VF(N)-101 launched often when other carriers wouldn't launch their night fighters because of the extra work.

While the plane handlers and and air staff still didn't like them, after the Marianas Turkey Shoot the other pilots did. The task group sent a 200 plane attack against the IJN fleet, they'd return after sunset, and not all the groups were night qualified. Harmer (CO of VF(N)-101, and one of two pilots that did almost all of the flying at night) launched, and found groups of carrier planes that were lost. He found three groups of planes and led or vectored them back to the carriers.

Corsair? What happened to the Hellcat? Sure, it wasn't the most maneuverable, or the fastest, but it certainly gave the Japs quite a shock.

The Hellcat was good, but the general consensus here is the Corsair was better (and it was leaning that way before I arrived ). The Hellcat had a better kill/death ratio (19:1 IIRC) while the Corsairs was 11:1, the Hellcat also had some stunning numbers of enemy planes destroyed - 300 at Truk, 35 for one loss over Guam, somewhere near 400 in the Marianas Turkey Shoot, etc. That said, IMO if Corsairs were aboard they would've done better Then again, they could've done worse.

I think the Corsair's better, maybe this site is lacking in Hellcat fans...

The Corsair looks better too, which isn't really that hard when comparing any plane to the F6F

I believe that Grumman want to try F6F Hellcat to against Vought F4U Corsair and they probably agree that who's the better fighter. In sometime Spring 1943, a pair of Corsair took on two Grumman Hellcats F6F Hellcat, Noted Navy Flier Butch O'Hare piloted one of the Hellcats, and later flew the Corsair.

Observer said the Hellcat was no match for the F4U-1 Corsair.

Users who are viewing this thread