Best Naval Fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

check this bad boy out................

Attachments

• corsair_fire_191.jpg
    corsair_fire_191.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 671
Best Naval Fighter?

I would vote for Corsair or any "late" American fighters, Hellcat..P-38

But, in terms of greatest Naval plane, its Zero for sure. In hands of anf ace, Zero was still a formidable weapon against late American planes.

Chiron said:
But, in terms of greatest Naval plane, its Zero for sure. In hands of anf ace, Zero was still a formidable weapon against late American planes.

????

By 1943 the Zero's day was done. Even earlier really, the Wildcat's found they could contend with Zero's very effectively using the "Thatch weave".

There were pleanty of Aces in the Mariana's... they got shot down in droves by Hellcats. Hellcats that were mostly piloted by rookies.

=S=

Lunatic

When I said "great", is not necessary refer to technological superiority. When I said, great, I refer to the plane's impact, and innovation. Japanese innovation in naval fighter design and principle contributed greatly to the modern naval warfare.

How so? Just what about the Zero is reflected in our Naval fighter designs, other than range (which was always a priority in all US fighters).

Chiron said:
Best Naval Fighter?

I would vote for Corsair or any "late" American fighters, Hellcat..P-38

How is the hellcat a late fighter...?

but he is right, japan had some of the best pilots of the war, in the hands of an ace even in 1944 the zero was still a very formidable weapon..........

I would think that most airplanes that were still flying at the end of the war, fighters I mean, would be formidable in the hands of an ace. You can have the greatest airplane in the world, but it means nothing if you have a marginal pilot in it. Even Fillipino pilts flying P-26s managed to down a couple of Zeroes! :shock: Sometimes it's a matter of skill, sometimes tactics, and sometimes dumb luck. It is often a matter of who sees who first to get the first shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back