Best ship buster.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

non:

the sig of mine is in rememberance of these guys actually in the Ju 290 staffels. Recon clasp. the unit was totally stealth really.........

the resistance that was put up to intercept these sleek 4 engine jobs was Hurricanes with 20mm's. I have a break down of losses I may share on a new thread about the unit. I expect in the enxt 5 years that thenliving members from FAGr 5 will hae their book out. the unit did some wild operations, testing out guided bombs, buoy's and even a trip up to Greenland under Allied noses to rescue a weather ship crew stranded there on ice.

E Horrido ! one of my favorite pics of the Ju 290

Attachments

• ju2901_179.jpg
    ju2901_179.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 701
ok will dig out materials soon and post a seperate thread.....

here is an interesting pic of one of the nasty German aerial bombs. Hs 293 under pressure testing

Attachments

• prufstand_p4__hs_293.jpg
    prufstand_p4__hs_293.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 684
III./KG 100 supplied Do 217's for the mission and the first 5 Do 217's missed their targets the second group of dorniers did not and the Romas was hit twice the second Fritz X went into the ammo supply and the ship blew up in two. Dropped by Unteroffizier Degan the bomb hit between the starboard extension armoring between the 15 inch gun B turrer and the bridge, disabling the ships turbines and stopping the ship. due to the high angle of the impact the bomb exploded near the forward magazine starting fires and damaging the ships hold, raging fires ensued with the fires going towards the magazine consuming the ship in a monstrous expl;osion breaking the ship in two. Over 1300 of the 1800 crew were lost.

Also the Italia and the Vittorio were severly hit and kept them out of therest of the war.

Now due to the success's of III./KG 100 and their Do 217's Allied shipping was attacked in ernest, most notably in September of 43 during Operation Saalerno landings code-named " Operation Avalanche"

Very impressive pics and research, Erich.....
Must have made quite a considerable bang, when compared to the Allied RP's....the Germans must have put alot of effort into developing this style of anti-vessel offensive.....

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._223.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._223.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 626
I guess that you have never heard or find it this in the net. In my country Sweden SAAB also developed a potentially great ship killer, It was the SAAB T 18B. During the War SAAB and the Flygvapnet studied the War doctrine whit warplane against ship and they realized that they needed a airborne ship killer. So then SAAB developed The T 18B which was a former twin engine bomber. during the development they had some problems whit torpeddropping. It was because those torpedo's we had wasn't sturdy enough to be dropped from a fast flying airplane. To solve that problem they mounted a 57mm automatic Boforscannon m/41A whit a magazine of 40 rounds, the cannon had a firinrate of 3 rounds per second and it shout targets far as 2 km. additional it also had 2 20mm hispaniolcannon whit 120 rounds each and a single 13 mm macinegun pointing forward. Secondary it also carried 1000 kg of bombs or else 8 British 8 cm rockets or Bofors 10,3 cm, 14,5 cm, and 15 cm, plus 2 18 cm rockets under the chin. The T 18 B had also a very advance bomb-aiming-device that allowed the plane to dive bombing its target whit an angel of between 30 0r 45 degrees. A system that exist now in all modern attack airplane. The T 18B come in service 1947, ma-by a little to late have in this discussion.

The cockpit and twin tail pointed me towards Bf-110, and the skinny fuselage said Do-17. Maybe they just got bits of German twin engined aircraft together...

A bit a Ju-88...there...then hmm...Do-17..some Bf-110 sprinkled in there...and WAL-LAH! Swedish aircraft. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back