Best transporter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

2 mph isn't much at all, if the C-47 and C-46 were both carrying the same amount, the C-47 could carry it further? Or was its range just superior when empty.

I take it C.C hasn't seen my pic of the Sm.85 he requested.

I haven't seen anything on range loaded, but I would imagine the C-47 would have been capable of carrying it further.

C.C sorry for the repeat post, but i was reading up on the SM.85 divbomber, but it was just that and a one hit wounder that had one mission! Made of wood and underpwered, most italian designs seem to have that flaw, two Piaggio 500hp engines. The one mission they could not find the target. :(

So this being transports, why not pick another stay in Italian design SM.81?

We've all come to realise that. :lol:

Why not the P.108 is a plane that had a lot of upside. Also the SM.79 and 81 come to mind. These are the three that I like and know C.C dose as well! 8)

yup! i dont know why i like italian planes, they just have so much more character than any other countries planes, and they look great 8) and although they rarely did make a good plane, when they did they were great at their job (SM.79/81, Fiat CR.42 Falco, P.108, etc 8) )

While they were used. The Italians were hardly good troops (look at the trouble they had with Greece) who seemed to have little real interest in the war. And the were out of it by late '43.

Beaten by the Greeks, and the British when they outnumbered the Brits 6 -1. The RA and Italian Navy did account for 1/5th of RN losses, so I suppose they weren't THAT bad...still bad though... :lol:

But the Italian Navy had the Royal Navy battle outnumbered (in the Med) anyway at the start of the war an never pressed that advantage.

They did out number the RN, they still did well to sink 1/5th of all those RN vessels sunk.

But had they pressed that advantage, they might have been able to force the Royal Navy out of the Med, the supply lines to the Afrika Korps could have stayed open, and then . . . well, yikes.

That advantage could have kept out the Americans and Allies from pushing as fast across Noth Africa or at the least delaying and forcing more troops and recorces. It might have kept them in the war longer, but that is doubtful. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back