Best Utility Helicopter

Best Utility Helicopter in service today?

• Boeing Vertol CH-46 Seaknight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King

• Kamov Ka-25

• Kamov Ka-27

• Mil Mi-8 Hip

• Mil Mi-14 Haze

• Augusta A-109

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet

Private Chemtrail Disperser
Staff
Mod
Nov 8, 2004
USA/Germany
Well as you know I love Helos so I figured I would keep this going...

What is the best Utility Helicopter in service today. My vote obviously goes for the Blackhawk since that was my baby when I was in the Army. UH-1 is my all time favorite though.

For all intensive purposes I will define a Utility Helicopter (otherwise there will be a gazillion :lol: helos to choose from.) It is a medium size multi role helicopter. The reason I chose medium is because then we would have to include light weight aircraft such as the OH-53 or Bo-105 and they really dont compare to the larger aircraft.

I picked the NHI 90 just because the CAF uses it and I have trust that my Gov't doesn't make errors in their decision making as they are all seeing and knowing :rolleyes:

Huey is obviously the best of all time in my opinion. No other helicopter has been in service for as long as she has and she keeps on going. She was a joy to fly in as well.

The only reason I went with the Blackhawk is because it was my aircraft and because it is a better performer and better overall aircraft.

I just think it is quite funny that people are choosing the Huey. Dont take me wrong. It is my favorite Helicopter. I grew up with her as my father flew her in the Army.

The reason that I think it is funny is because the poll is Best Utility Helicopter in Service Today and there are many on that list that are better than the Huey performance and payload wise.

The sound Adler, the sound....:lol: Sentimental reasons I'd say. As you say, there's a lot helo's on the list that's faster, can carry more and have longer range... You could almost say that argue against the Huey would be like, I don't know argue against the Spitfire...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Slick.jpeg

Gunship-and-Cobras.jpg

I never had the opportunity to work around a Blackhawk (Like Chris) but by looking at them they seem so complicated when compared to a Huey (I could be wrong). I was able to learn the aircraft pretty easy as a civilian and got to fly in one on a flight test program - I actually liked flying it better than a jet ranger or an A Star (Two other helicopters I had an opportunity to fly). The Huey reminds of an old GM or ford pick up truck, they seem to last forever....

9826.jpg

I never had the opportunity to work around a Blackhawk (Like Chris) but by looking at them they seem so complicated when compared to a Huey (I could be wrong). I was able to learn the aircraft pretty easy as a civilian and got to fly in one on a flight test program - I actually liked flying it better than a jet ranger or an A Star (Two other helicopters I had an opportunity to fly). The Huey reminds of an old GM or ford pick up truck, they seem to last forever....

Oh dont take me wrong. The Huey is to me the greatest helo ever built. She is the C-47 of Helicopters.

Just like all things however they soon get passed by the youngens...:lol:

Is the Huey still in service? being as I know squat about helos and even modern equip and...how the Huey always seemed to be right there for whatever reason, military or civil, I went with that. But Adler, if its not in service then I'm lost and would go with Blackhawk.

I do not have a clue witch one of those are the best, but I do the Puma is also pretty good, the Russian choppers are big and heavy things, but the Huey is a great chopper.

The service it gave during Vietnam was great and she is a very reliable as well. We have one flying in Cape Town for the General public and I would love to take a little flight in her.

For me the Best utility Helicopter in service is the Huye with an Impressive combat service record right from Nam to the Present wars in afghanistan
it has defined the Role of the Utility helicopter

Is the Huey still in service? being as I know squat about helos and even modern equip and...how the Huey always seemed to be right there for whatever reason, military or civil, I went with that. But Adler, if its not in service then I'm lost and would go with Blackhawk.

Yes the Huey is still in service with the US military. The Marines use the UH-1N and are soon to be using the UH-1Y. The US Army still has small amounts of the UH-1H in service, infact there is a UH-1H stationed at my airfield over here in Germany. It is used to fly the staff around since all the Hawks are deployed.

The Huey is also in service all over the world. I believe it is still in service with about 50 different military's in the world today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back