Bf 109 Photo Tributes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd like to correct one assertion above.
No Bf 109 T, prototype or series production, ever had folding wings. The wing was longer (span 11.08 metres) and the flaps and slats were modified. There was also a retractable spoiler, 'Auftriebzerstorer', literally lift destroyer, fitted. This mechanism was disabled on production aircraft. The new wings gave considerable trouble, nearly killing Fritz Wendel in April 1941, and it was some time before they were made safe with a newly designed wing tip.
Cheers
Steve

bf-109k-4
-Bf-109K-4--Franz-Menzel-9-JG77-Neuruppin-Germany-November-1944.jpg

There are, but they are a lot better quality in terms of colour, than that one.
I'm thinking of the in flight ones, the one with Felix Sauer with his hand on the cowling, or the ones with the nose of a 6 Staffel machine sticking out of its camouflaged revetment.
I also have a feeling that I've seen a B+W version of that image.

It's an annoying topic. I have absolutely no problem with people colourising photographs, some of them are very good indeed, but they should make it clear that this is what has been done.

Has someone imagined a yellow tip to the propeller blade visible (matching the cowling) ? That just looks wrong to me.

Cheers

Steve

Yellow tip or common wear on the back of the blades?

I would say that the apparent 'wear' on the back (technically, the front) of that propeller does not match a typical or usual pattern; also suspicious.
The tips, maybe, I've seen something similar.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back