Bf 109G-14 ANTENNA WIRE

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great drawings but I still can't figure out why the antenna is both taut or slack when no one is in the cockpit and the canopy is closed.

I agree Geo. That is still a bit of a mystery. I think the E version and any others with the "normal" caged hood are separate issues. The only thing I can think of is that o those Erla hood machines showing a tight cable, the wire attached to the lock may be disconnected and permanently fixed somewhere. I think that any small take-up caused by the canopy opening and swinging the mast to the side could be accommodated by the spring.

I think the E version and any others with the "normal" caged hood are separate issues.

They are.

The tension release mechanism, actuated by the canopy lock, was only fitted to aircraft with the Erla hood, and then only to those where the antenna mast was mounted to the opening hood.

It does not apply to other versions with one of the standard canopies where the antenna mast is mounted on the rear part of the canopy which did not open, nor to aircraft where the antenna mast was mounted on the fuselage, as was the case with some aircraft of late versions.

Many late Bf 109s (a lot of Ks) with Erla hoods didn't have an antenna mast at all, the antenna wire entered the fuselage behind the canopy, and the tension release was obviously not required for them.

Cheers

Steve

What I have found is that the antennae "Cable" was run through the center of the wooden mast and was routed out the bottom and and to the left side of the canopy rail, there when the canopy lock was set (forward motion of lever) It drew tension on the cable. The cable maintained tension so as not to affect the lead that ran down and into the mid fuselage to the radio. While on the stroll through the antennae placements, does anyone have a photo or tech drawing of the cover plate for the fuselage antennae lead? I cannot find one anywhere. Seems it never occurred to photographers to get a clean shot of that piece. Any info or pics will be greatly appreciated!!!

1610621225305.png

1610621253041.png

Great drawings!! Appreciate the info. Sadly what I need and was not clear enough in describing is what is marked as "antennendurchfuhrung" on the drawing. The plate that covers the opening in the fuselage towards the tail that feeds the antennae lead into the A/C and to the radio. I can find no clear photos that show position (which side of the fuselage its mounted), what is the shape (flat or round, center raised with insulator). This will be for the -109G 6. I have no info as to whether the same item was used for all models of the -109. Hope this helps and sorry for the confusion!!! Snautzer 01 appreciate the drawings, they will go into my "Stuff about the -109 I need to know" file!!!!

Great drawings!! Appreciate the info. Sadly what I need and was not clear enough in describing is what is marked as "antennendurchfuhrung" on the drawing. The plate that covers the opening in the fuselage towards the tail that feeds the antennae lead into the A/C and to the radio. I can find no clear photos that show position (which side of the fuselage its mounted), what is the shape (flat or round, center raised with insulator). This will be for the -109G 6. I have no info as to whether the same item was used for all models of the -109. Hope this helps and sorry for the confusion!!! Snautzer 01 appreciate the drawings, they will go into my "Stuff about the -109 I need to know" file!!!!
Hi Swede Ware!
The change in the position of the "Antennendurhfuehrung" came with the G-4/G-3 model. The latter had the FuG VIIa radio system used in G-2 replaced with the FuG16Z. The aerial attachment was moved to the rear, just in front of the tail.
There was no change in the "panel" as you call it - there is no separate panel at this place. It's the same fuselage but the aerial attachment is different.
There are plenty of photos of this area with the white insulator. I remember a Japanese book from the Aero Detail series with some detail photos - must check in my library.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Catch 22, good info. In some B&W photos there is a slight, it seems, rod up out of the antennae area but the photos with that are so bad that the antennae itself is not visible. With that, I wondered if this was a small diameter insulator for the antennae. If that was the case it would still need to be mounted or secured in some fashion to the fuselage. Appreciate any photos or info you have with this.

Stone, You and Snautzer01 are the best!!! I could not have asked for more! But.....of the two, which would I be likely to find on the G-6? I am sure I have all that is needed to do any model or version of -109 plus the bonus of close ups of the insulators! I know that I am being a pain on this but would like to have this correct if I am going to do battle scratching up the antennae with the split to the fuselage. Snautzer, I have spent the last hour and a half going through your EXTENSIVE -109 file of photos! THAT is an incredible collection of photos!!!!! I appreciate the effort you have put into that. Any and all that find and collect and share all that they find are truly appreciated!!!

EXCELLENT shot!!!! Would not have guessed a flush mount. I'll assume the antennae guides inside a rubber sleeve. I do appreciate this, I don't believe I have ever seen this A/C before. I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back