BF2C Mishap on the USS Ranger

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
Happened to discover a 1978 issue of Aeroplane Monthly that has pictures of a mishap aboard the USS Ranger on 28 Feb 1935.
BF2C-CRash.jpg
BF2C-1.jpg
BF2C-4.jpg
BF2C-5.jpg

Looks like he caught the wire with his main gear!
I have always wondered why that does not happen more often.

I understand that now they keep the wire tight and low and have little stand-off's to make it to stay off the deck.

As you might expect, those little standoff's have a special Navy name: "Those little stand-offs that keep the wire off the deck."

By the way the BF2C was a development of the earlier Curtiss fixed gear F11C, which was converted into the BF2C dive bomber. But the BF2C-1, while it looked like one of the huskiest bipes of the 30's, did not stay with the USN very long. They tried the new innovation of a metal wing but it proved to be vulnerable to metal fatigue and so it was phased out early. They built a wood wing version for export and it was sold around the world and saw considerable combat in China.

His hook is down, it can be seen in the photo where the wire is about to catch his main gear.

My question is: what caused the wire to jump - did he his hook fail on the first wire and that failed catch caused this wire to whip up?

Hi Guys,

That IS the crash barrier - the early versions didn't need to be built to stop a Skywarrior or a Phantom. The full report is on page 27 of Bob Cressman's wonderful USS Ranger; the Navy's First Flattop from Keel to Mast, 1934-46.

Sorry, I'm a tad under the weather or I'd retype the whole story.

Cheers,

Dana

Thanks for the thought - the tests say it is Covid, but at least it's relatively mild. I was into some very busy writing when it hit - right now I'm fuzzy and can't concentrate. Back to clarity in another week, I expect...

Cheers,

Dana
Bugga - keep safe

My son in law got long covid March last year. He used to run marathons for fun and now he has trouble walking half a mile with the children tho part of the issue is probably the extra weight he put on now that he is not running almost every day.

His hook is down, it can be seen in the photo where the wire is about to catch his main gear.

My question is: what caused the wire to jump - did he his hook fail on the first wire and that failed catch caused this wire to whip up?
I'm guessing the sudden nose down pitch when the plane tripped over the wire jounced the hook hard against its down snubber, rebounding it up to re-engage its up latch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back