Biff glory days...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My upbringing was similar to several (or many) I imagine on this forum, my dad and uncle owned a small airfield in southern Michigan so I spent many hours aloft before I could walk. Like GrauGeist said though, I haven't renewed etc. in well... decades.

Thanks,
Pete

well peter if you still have your certificate...the wonderful world of sport piloting awaits you...that is if you want to get back into it relatively cheaply. you don't need to take an FAA medical...your driver's license qualifies you as in good health ( as long as you do not know differently ). you are restricted on size, speed, and configuration of planes but you can get your feet off the ground with less hassle..

Probably too much info...
We dream it, you lived it. No such thing as "too much info"! Nothing wrong with a good "war story" to balance the scholarly atmosphere around here, especially if it's factual and first hand from the perpetrator.
Tail slide and the candles stayed lit? Wow! Back in my day of J-52s and J-79s that would have been instant flameout, departure, deploy the RAT, hope for enough control authority to get it straight again, hope for a relight, hope Messrs Martin and Baker had their act together.
Cheers,
Wes

Wes,
To say the Eagle is a great plane is an understatement. Easy to fly, forgiving, very communicative and almost impossible to depart! It was a long, fruitful affair and I miss her dearly. There is nothing like fighting someone who thinks they are an Orca, but when it's said and done knows they are but a baby seal...
Cheers,
Biff

PBEHN,
While I have too much time in Khobar, during my first visit to the area I was a Brigade Air Liasion Officer (ALO). Or the USAF pilot who deployed with the Army to call in air strikes. Would have preferred to be in an Eagle, much better than a HUMV.
Cheers,
Biff

We definitely overlapped that trip as I was there with the 58th FS. That was my 4th of 8 Middle East "trips"...

BK,
That's hard call to make either way. The F-16s would probably not be new build so they have to come out of stock. That means they would need to be replaced with F-35s (my opine), which are not exactly pouring out of the factory. If the decision were made to do it I think it would take several years PLUS the Vipers would need some expensive upgrades to close SOME of the capability shortfalls.
On the other hand the USAF has kept upgrading the Eagle which is a sign they are here to stay for awhile longer.
I'm pleasantly surprised that McBoeing continues to sell new ones!
V/R,
Biff

Last edited:
McBoeing.... I like that! Hadn't heard it before. Made me recall when Boeing bought out McDonnell-Douglas (I was on the KC-10's) and it seemed like just overnight our tech reps just completely changed their personalities and our interaction with them was not as positive as it once was. They were just more, well how to say it, aggressively difficult. Just getting parts and bench stock changed as well and not for the better.

We definitely overlapped that trip as I was there with the 58th FS. That was my 4th of 8 Middle East "trips"...

So, do you recall the 100* and fog at midnight? Or how about the sand coming out of the water when you drew a bath? Bathing in already brown/tan water just seemed so counter-intuitive...

I had 10 of those "trips"... not to include the transient flights/missions. I hate the middle east. Sometimes shopping for gold at the souk made up for it. At least where my wife was concerned! lol.

So, do you recall the 100* and fog at midnight? Or how about the sand coming out of the water when you drew a bath? Bathing in already brown/tan water just seemed so counter-intuitive...

I had 10 of those "trips"... not to include the transient flights/missions. I hate the middle east. Sometimes shopping for gold at the souk made up for it. At least where my wife was concerned! lol.

When the wind blew out of the south, the flies would stop flying and the shamals were soon to follow!

Cheers,
Biff

When the wind blew out of the south, the flies would stop flying and the shamals were soon to follow!

Cheers,
Biff
I'm not sure what was worse. When the air was stagnant and therefore humid and hot or when that shamal started coming in the late afternoon. Like a blow-torch it would drive out that humidity and shoot the temp up 15-20*! (With the accompanied sand too)

I'm not sure what was worse. When the air was stagnant and therefore humid and hot or when that shamal started coming in the late afternoon. Like a blow-torch it would drive out that humidity and shoot the temp up 15-20*! (With the accompanied sand too)

I learned one night during a shamal that I sleep with my mouth open sometimes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back