Big bombers.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Where did the good 'ole days go when we had names like Opertion Neptune, Jupiter, Overlord, Market Garden, Torch, Crusader and Jericho?

Are we just going to start naming Operation names now? Can we include German ones as well?

I was just adding a few suggestions. I only know the names of a handfull of German ops, notably Barbarosa, Sea Lion, Eagle Day, and Watch on the Rhine.

Eagle Day isn't an operation name. Albertag was just the first day in the BoB. German ones : Fall Weis, Fall Gelb, Barbarossa, Zitadel...to tell you the truth I don't know many :lol:

Well Alder Tag was still a German Code name. And I have heard of several of those, I just don't remember what the were now.

Alder Tag, yes sorry. Fall Weis - Invasion of Poland, Fall Gelb - Invasion of France and lowlands, Barbarossa - Invasion of Russia, Zitadel - Attack on Moscow. Also, Operation Sea Lion - Invasion of Britain.

No problem, aircraft is actually the lower side of my World War 2 knowledge, as most might have noticed :lol:

They are both big, the B-36 obviously being the bigger, as we all know.

Ok, now for a little upclose info on the B-52! I lived next to a SAC base in Maine Loring cloesest US mainland base to Europe and if during the cold war, would have been wiped out by a first strike. :(

Anywho, the B-52 is Big, yes the B-36 was but did not last. The B-53 even still has a tailgun, or did up through the H model I think. It will be retiered at some point, but the USAF statagy is changing again and America cannot come to turms with an aircraft program that is flexible and cost effective, say like the Euro2000 ;)

The B-1B Spirit, also had fuel problums in the begining and was designed for first strike raids over Soviets. So the B-52 is just a better platform to carpet bomb the desert with. I should never be retiered and well why not bring it back? I know that is not really an option, but the plane is older then me and some on this forum, but I do not see even the F-22 becomming operational in the numbers it needs to be in and the F-35 project is in trouble because this war is sucking a lot of cash.

In close well I have stood beside a B-52 and seen them fly and nothing can compair to the sould, well maybe a B-24 on take off, but that big massice bombbay filled with bombs or 12 plus cruis missles. Or some 2k bombs to make the ground shake. :)

people often say there's nothing that compares to the sound of a merlin, but i've never heard one............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back