blue angels aircraft (Bearcat)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If the Lightning reigned supreme in climb rate [as we all know] then how would it not beat the Bearcat? The Lightning can out-climb a F-16.

Even the NASA rockets have trouble. When a Lightning gets off the runway vertically, it's rocket vs. rocket. :lol:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/lightning/memories.html

Considering the age difference, the Lightning's performance was totally outstanding when introduced into service, and when it finally bowed out, it could still out-climb most of its successors. Its initial rate of climb was 50,000 ft per minute. The Mirage IIIE climbed initially at 30,000 ft per minute; the Phantom F-4M managed 32,000 ft per minute; the MiG-21 could only manage 36,090 ft per minute; the F-16A's initial rate was 40,000 ft per minute, and the Tornado F.3's 43,000 ft per minute. So the Lightning reigned supreme. Only later was it surpassed; the F-15 Eagle, and the MiG-25 both have initial climb rates as good or better. The Lightning's time to FL 360 in re-heat was 2.5 minutes, in this respect the Eagle produced a similar figure, though this could vary depending upon its configuration.

You have actually already said that but that contradicts the previous statement that the F-16 broke the record. How would it, if the Lightning can climb faster?

I was just giving 2 different souces. I think the bit about the F16 is just a myth, and I was wondering if R Leonard was going to give that as the answer to his trivia question.

either way i'd rather be in a lightening than anything else trying to intercept a flight of russian bombers heading our way with a big fat nuke adressed "To whomever it may concern"..........

I've heard a few people, normally Americans, state that the F-16 broke the Bearcat's record. I find it hard to believe that the EE Lightning would fail to break it when it can climb faster than most modern fighters.

Getting back to the actual topic of this thread...

Here's a couple more shots of 'Beetle Bomb'...

BB002b.gif

Image source/credit: Wings of Fame Volume 8

BB001b.gif

Image source/credit: Wings of Fame Volume 8

A bit more info on 'Beetle Bomb'... it served not only as the 'enemy' in the
dogfight routine but was also the solo ship, demonstrating the full capabilities
of the Bearcat. It was lost in a crash in 1950 and replaced by another Bearcat
painted in the regular scheme.

Fade to Black...

And back to Bearcats climb to time

How long did that record stand?

A day 'cos it beat it's own record the next day.

No, but a good guess. Actually, this record only stood for about 30 minutes, until Butch Davenport took off in another NATC F8F, using up about 115 feet of runway, and roared off to 10000 feet all in 97.8 seconds. Davenport's take off run was 30 feet shorter than the earlier attempt, taking advantage of a increase in headwind of about 15 knots that has come up in the meantime.

Some sources, including official USN, state that these events took place on November 20, 1946, but no, both attempts were on the 22nd. I've the log books of the pilot of first F8F.

Here's the pilot of the first, 100 second, F8F, standing in front of his plane:

41d4b983dab56.jpg

And here's a group of pilots at NATC:

41d4b8909dabc.jpg

Left to Right: Bill Martin, Director TacTest; Jim Davidson, first USN aviator to land and take off a jet from a carrier; Pete Bolt, test pilot; Bill Leonard, Assistant Director/test pilot; Butch Davenport, test pilot. Planes in background are, left, Ryan FR-1 and, right, F8F-1. I believe the F8F is Leonard's not Davenport's as in the first picture from a couple of days ago you can see the tail of the FR-1 in the background. Photo series was taken before going off to Cleveland. Davidson and Bolt went along as extra pilots.

Rich

Ryan FR-1 - Late war design single seat fighter. Had a Wright R-1820-72W up front and a GE J31 turbojet in the rear. Max speed 404 at 17800 feet; cruise at 152. Service ceiling 43100. Range 1620 miles. Armament 4 .50 cal MG. 66 delivered between Jan and Nov 45. Initially assigned to VF-66, then with VF-1E after VF-66 was disestablished. Saw limited sea service, mostly in trials status. Withdrawn from fleet duty after 30 Jun 47.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back