BoB 1/48 Hurricane Decal help.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The finish line is in sight

BB075B41-6B3E-40A2-B4D6-4B4694B3BFD3-13435-00000CB65508A339.jpg

3595DC6E-861C-4C81-9DCC-74FBA17DAB8F-13435-00000CB6347F3BA0.jpg

Cheers Chris

Thanks all. Not bad for my first real attempt at building a model for around 14 years.
Couldn't have got this far without everyone's help though. Can't stop smiling at what I have achieved so far.

Cheers

I Might have to take part in some GB's soon then.

I have been searching for the 36" Grey decals but have had no luck.
If anybody knows of any for sale could you please provide a link.

Thanks Chris

Hi Rochie,

Yeah UP L. I was after a whole sheet as I have a Mk.1a Spit to do in 1/48 and that may have the same size codes. Need to do the research first though for the Spit.

Cheers Chris

If you can't find any of these decal sheets offered by manufactures you may try to print of them using your own colour printer and a sheet of clear decal.

Thanks for searching all.

Wojtec, so I just need to apply a gloss coat over the sheet once printed?

That or I may get some in the correct size, hand paint over them and then apply?

Cheers Chris

Printing the grey letters on clear decal sheet looks fine when printed, but once applied, they look like thin, very dark grey, almost black letters. You'd need to paint over them either before application, or once applied, fully set and cleaned.
If making decals, let the printed sheet cool and dry for around 30 minutes, then spray on a clear, gloss varnish (Do NOT use Johnson's 'Klear' for this!). Let this dry for at least 12 hours before using the decals as normal.
Note that all decals printed onto clear sheet from an ink-jet printer will not have the density associated with 'proper' decals, depending on colours, but can sometimes be improved by using two decals, one on top of the other, if this won't look too thick on the model. Decals printed from a laser printer, which requires a different clear decal sheet, can be slightly better, but still not up to commercial standards.
Before committing yourself, just re-check the size of the codes - 24 inch, 30 inch and 48 inch were the standard sizes, and Hurricanes normally had either 30 or 48 inch codes, with a couple of squadrons possibly using the smaller, 24 inch codes.
Sorry, I can't check my references at the moment - although my library is now back on the shelves, there's a bl**dy big cabinet in the way at the moment, so I can't get to the books!!

I'm with Terry here. It a very good explanation for what should be done. One note though... the gloss varnish can't be any of these for acrylic paints and also the Johnson's 'Klear' type because the ink printing isn't a water-proof. The best one is the Humbrol Gloss varnish used for enamels. Of course the Testors one for enamels can be too. In another word the gloss coat can't be the water thinned varnish.

If you want I can make you with the Photoshop a file for printing. Just tell me the dimensions for the rectangle these letters have to be written in.

Hi Wojtec,

That would be excellent thanks.
Ill try and figure out what size they need to be using the photograph that you posted on the first page as guidence.

Just applied the gloss coat.
What colour was the earlier aerial?
I only need to paint that and clean up the canopy.

37A93163-1916-45A9-B540-F17FE19A96A2-16191-00000F7459C788B7.jpg

1F6CDFA1-73F8-4E82-BFF5-E3782CBE384F-16191-00000F7468420DBF.jpg

Cheers Chris

Looking good Chris. The aerial mast was the same colour as the rest of the camouflage, so, if it's in the area painted Dark Earth, for example, then it'll be Dark Earth.
Note my comments on printing decals, and the colour density problems. I'm fairly sure the size of the letters were standard, as available in the decal range from Hannants (otherwise, why not include an 'odd' size in the range?), but can't check references for the reasons already stated. And the way my hands and wrists are misbehaving at the moment, it might be some time before I can move the offending bl**dy furniture !!

Hi Terry, I completely understand about the book storage issues. With the exception of what I'm working on at any given time I keep everything at my Grandma's house (2 kids seen me have to vacate the room at my house) It's good for a few reasons, I have a whole room dedicated to my collections etc and for added ww2ness she is a genuine ww2 artifact herself! Downside it's 5 miles away and it's Sod's law that I need whatever is at her house. She also has servere Rhumatoid Arthritis and I know how crippling it can be. Her hands are so contauted that I don't know how she even manages to do the most basic of things, added to the fact she is now 84 but still 100% independent.

I may just order both sizes from Hannants anyway and see how they fit to the model and compare to a photograph. Like you say they would be missing a trick with potential sales by not offering it in the size I have been looking for.

Thanks for the info on the aerial, for some reason I thought I recalled seeing them in a natural wood finish.

Cheers Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back