BoB 1/48 Hurricane Decal help.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again Terry. Will get masking tonight.

Cheers Chris

It's D-Day for the Hurricane! It's getting painted.

Just would like to check the colours before I make an epic mistake.
At my disposal I have the following -

Vallejo Dark Earth 71.029
Tamiya Dark Green XF-81

Will these two be ok for the primary colours of the camo?

Cheers Chris

Hmm. I don't use either manufacturer's paint, being a confirmed 'enamel man', so can't comment properly.
I would think the Vallejo will be correct, but don't know about the Tamiya. I believe they introduced RAF colours when they released their first 1/32nd scale Spitfire, but I don't know how accurate they are. That said, if that colour is billed as RAF Dark Green, then it should be close enough.

Nice one Terry. I just wanted to double check I had the colour names right to start with.
I'll post some pic's up later if I get it done to a respectable standard.
Shall I paint green over brown or vice versa? I might try and use a template to save the effort of masking.

Cheers Chris

It's normally best to paint lightest colours first. So, paint the underside and, when dry, mask this where needed and paint the Dark Earth.
Rather than using templates, or masking, you may want to try what I normally do. That is, once the Dark Earth has fully dried, mark the camouflage pattern in pencil, and include the letters 'DG' here and there inside the areas to be painted Dark Green - that way, you'll know which areas are which!
Then either brush paint or airbrush the green, starting by following the pencil lines, and then filling-in the main areas. Even with a 'only relatively' fine line airbrush, if close in, at low pressure (about 15 psi), this is not as hard to do, free hand, as you'd imagine, and much easier and less hassle than the b@ll ache of complex masking, or trying to keep templates in place on a relatively small surface area. As a hard edge demarcation is required in this instance, any slight feathering or over-spray which might occur can be tidied-up with a paint brush.
If you feel you'd rather mask the entire underside, to prevent over-spray, then just mask the required edges, filling the rest of the area with cling film, tissue or kitchen foil, held in place bt the edges of the main masking tape - saves time, and saves on relatively expensive tape!

I was reading one of your group build threads (maybe this very kit iirc) where you explained this method and at the time thought its a good idea. The only thing stopping me from trying it was my unknown ability to freehand with the airbrush. I think the change in pressure though will be key in making this achievable.
I have already completed the underside anyway and masked the edges but never thought about cling film etc. Great tip 👍

Lets see how it turns out in about four hours time.

Cheers Chris

Dark earth applied -

AEA11414-8B32-4596-9545-EA27ECDA7120-10912-00000A1B2B0A945A.jpg

Pencil at the ready!

So I had a bash with following a pencil guide.
I'm not sure I'm happy with the results though.

C5CD8C8D-37E6-4EF7-B9A7-3C82FB33EF8D-11015-00000A2F1A2284AB.jpg

9B938817-E9F5-422F-91F9-439C6FF5515F-11015-00000A2F2221CECD.jpg

Do the colours look okay? I think the brown may be too dark?
Will they change much when I apply then semi gloss coat?
Are they defined enough?

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
Having slept on it, I am sure that the current finish is not correct.
Plan B - repaint the brown but lighten it up a touch.
Mask fairly loosely with tape and fire away with the Green. Which I hope will appear a little darker if the brown is lighter.

Cheers Chris

looks fine to me and once your gloss coat goes on it will tidy up the different sheens on the green

Chris, i use Vallejo paints and i think the Dark Earth is ok, certainly not had any body on here say it looked to dark !

looks fine to me and once your gloss coat goes on it will tidy up the different sheens on the green

Chris, i use Vallejo paints and i think the Dark Earth is ok, certainly not had any body on here say it looked to dark !

Hi Rochie, it's just all looks a bit grim and in my eyes nothing like what its supposed to portray.

Take this Hurricane at Duxford for example -

0D17F912-E96C-4657-B0ED-3E5C466596DB-11615-00000ACEE6C27335.jpg

When compared to the brown on my model it's like the different between milk chocolate and Dark Chocolate ( sorry i couldn't think of anything else brown to compare!)

I'll give it another coat first and if still no joy I'm going at it with the white paint.

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I'm an airbrush virgin then. I'll give it the gloss coat later but maybe tidy the lines of the camo with brush first then.

Will post up pics when done again.

Cheers Chris

I agree with Wayne, it's a bit difficult to see the contrast in that lighting. However, the Dark Earth does seem to be a touch too dark, but then, this might be the effect of the green, which is only just visible in the photos, or the lighting of the subject.
BUT - if you want to make the Dark Earth lighter, don't add white!
Adding white by itself will give more of a light khaki brown, towards buff. Instead, add a very small amount of yellow, and check the shade when fully mixed. This can then be lightened if required, but only slightly, by adding a tiny amount of white.
When the gloss clear coat is added, all the colours will appear slightly darker, as the contrast is enhanced, but as Karl mentioned, this will also even-out any patchiness. Once the matt clear coat is added, the shades will go back to looking 'right'.
The dark appearance of the brown is very probably due to 'scale effect', and should look better by lightening it very slightly.

Thanks Terry, I have just passed over the brown areas with a slightly lightened (using yellow ) brown and am waiting for it to fully dry before deciding the next steps. This time around I will also make sure I apply plenty of green as I think my previous attempt did not get enough paint build and so enhanced the darker look of the brown.

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
Finally I have a finish I am happy with -

5340FAE2-E1C4-4305-B410-F0ED4D04281C-12203-00000B36684F2202.jpg

47F885D3-9347-47F1-83F5-1B8462FFA76E-12203-00000B366066F995.jpg

I reprinted the Brown and then applied a good amount of green.
What made it one hundred times easier was making mask's for the pattern.
I enlarged and printed off the paint scheme document that Terry posted In this thread. Simply cut them out and applied to model using 6mm Tamiya tape.

72D304C7-F7E6-4CAD-8A0E-C900259D7F8D-12203-00000B36532F6114.jpg

So I guess if I'm correct I now complete the weathering and after apply a coat of semi gloss clear varnish. Apply decals. Matt coat.

Thanks for the help all. I'm getting there in the end.

Cheers Chris

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back