BoB GB 109E questions....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Probably old boy, if there's evidence of it actually being in the 'official' BoB, and not the interpretation of it carrying on into 1941. I'll have a look, as I've got pics somewhere of the scheme, before Russia.

Well, so far I've found a JG54 scheme 'bordering' on the one you posted Jan, but I need to tie down the date more precisely, as it might be very late 1940 or early 1941. There was one which was close though, with cross hatching, and even one which looks like lattice work.

Still looking but found these so far.....The Jagdgeschwader 54 HomePage

At least it shows that 6./JG54 flew with a somewhat similar camouflage at the time BoB....

"Yellow 12" Fw. Ernst Arnold 3./JG 27 - Reference: Jagdwaffe: Battle of Britain Phase Two page 170.

"White 2" Fw. Paul Boche 4./JG 52 - Reference: Jagdwaffe: Battle of Britain Phase Three page 256, Bernd Barbas History of II./JG 52.

"Yellow 10" W. Nr. 6352 6./JG 54 - Reference: Jagdwaffe: Battle of Britain Phase Four page 336.

"Black 13" 2./JG 77 - Reference: Jochen Prien Die Jagdfliegervarbande der Deutschen Luftwaffe, 1934 – 1945 Vol 4/ II page 98.

Attachments

• EagleCals 122.jpg
    EagleCals 122.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 88
Yep, 'Yellow 10' was one of those I'd spotted in the Jagdwaffe series, but I need to verify a date. This series, excellent though it is, has a couple of questionable areas though, not least it dealing with the Battle into 1941 ! The official British history records the dates of the BoB from 10 July to 31 October 1940 which, as we all know, is open to interpretation!
Personally, I feel the BoB 'as we know it', continued at least until late November, possibly early December, when the daylight Frei Jagd and Jabo raids continued which, although nowhere near as intense as the previous daylight attacks, still gave cause for Fighter Command to launch sorties to combat the raiders. After this time, with the emphasis being on night attacks, considered in British history as a separate 'battle', normally just refered to as 'The Blitz', those raids undertaken in daylight don't really warrant being included in the title 'Battle of Britain' , if only due to their 'sporadic' and weak nature. Rather, they could be considered 'engagements', or 'fights', rather than a 'battle', as subsequent daylight incursions eventually were.
I think it's going to be a concensus of opinion from the members as to which dates are being used for the five phases of the BoB, for the purposes of the GB. For my part, I would say from 10 July to end of November, and nothing later, otherwise it will be difficult to draw a line as to when the BoB actually did end, as virtually any daylight incursion up to and including 1944 could be construed as a continuation of the battle!

OK, then the 'predecessor' of that scheme was known to have been in existance, with the cross hatch mottle pattern, and what appears tp be a lighter, less defined 'large' mottle of RLM 02 in between the 'crosses'. In other words, not as 'hard' and as defined as the pattern eventually used in Russia, normally refered to as the 'snake skin' scheme.
If you can find one like that which fits the dates, no problem.

For those of us who work in the smaller scales, here's a MARCH, 2010 release from Revell:

1/72 Messerschmitt Bf109E-3/4

Code: REV04679
No. of parts 34

Attachments

• 04679.jpg
    04679.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 64
Looks rather nice. This BoB GB has sparked me off - I fancy doing a Bf109E from every JG in the BoB (only seven), maybe one from each Gruppe, in 1/48th. Ah, dreams! With three to do in 1/32nd scale, I won't have room!

Thinking of getting the Eduard and do that 'tiger striped' 13, but not for the GB though, as Dan is doing that one....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back