Bournemouth raid 1943.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hugh - The extract I posted was from an A4 paperback/pamphlet of some 120 pages entitled:

'Bournemouth and the Second World War 1939-1945'

by M.A. Edgington, and published in 1994.

The ISBN reference is 1-873887-03-5

I'm not sure how many copies were printed, but mine seems to be identified with the number '728' - so maybe not that many?

I do hope that Mr. Edgington will not be too annoyed at my blatant infringement of his copyright, by posting an extract online!

Who knows? - maybe if there's enough interest, there maybe another print run! :)

Roger,

Thank you! I do hope Mr. Edgington understands that there are lots of people who are interested in his work and that another print run would be welcomed.

I appreciate your posting it in the first place and also providing me with the citation.

Thanks!

Hugh

hers alittle article I found from Airforce magazine dated 1984 by Arthur Haylock

If the RCAF had searched all of England it could not have found a more lovely and pleasant place than Bournemoutn as a reception base for Canadians, In 1942. it was a city of 126000 and In 1982 it is only 140000 It was long known as a seaside resort where English families spent summer holidays. Dozens of hotels adjoined the beach area, and the weather was generally clear and sunny.
At the outbreak of war. the British j government evacuated several of their ministeries .
with their female staff from London to Bournemouth, the English girls had a rather cool detached view of Canadians .
They were aware that we were a transient group and few formed lasting relationships. They knew when we left we would be replaced by another draf from Canada. In many cases they were able to tell us of friends who had arrived earlier and where they were posted now.
But the English girls loved to dance. And the Canadians taught them polka's. old time waltz's and Jitterbugging. From them we learned the Palais Glide the Boston two-step and the Lambeth Walk. Tea dances were held every afternoon at the pavilion at the beach. In the evening we took the bus to the Boscombe Palais. Dances were over early so we goals get a ride back '
LEAVE
On arrival at Bournemouth we given seven days leave. It was I pleasant expeirence for as to visit relatives. particularly if they lived in the lovely English country- side. For our family. It was the first link I since my uncles had returned from the 14-18 war. The Air Force Officers were billeted in several novels in the Square. For a time we l lived In the Royal Bath Hotel. the most prestigious hotel in the city Later we were moved to Burley Court. which like a number of hotels was only used for sleeping quarters. Our officers mess was in the Anglo-Swiss Hotel. a block away. It had a billiard and recreation room and a large dining area . The dining area where all our meals were served. The dining room could accomoodate 100 officers At the rear was a lovely flower garden with a goldfish pond
The spring of 42 seemed to be turning to summer as we impatiently waited for our posting. In the evenings sitting in the officers mess of the Anglo-swiss Hotel we used to turn our radio on to the German channel which broadcast news by William Joyce better known to the British as Lord Haw Haw. At this time he gave the news of the successful actions of the Germans on the Russian front. destruction of shipping by UBoats the loss to the Japanese of Singapore and Burma. and disasters to the British in the Western Desert One night after these speeches. he interjected a personal note. "I would like to speak to you Canadians who are enjoying Bournemouth at the present time We hope pay you a vlslt in the near future If you are at the Anglo Swiss Hotel you will notice your clock is ten minutes slow '' He was only out by thirty seconds We knew lt had been slow for some time. Did any one of us listening to him attach any personal significance to this statement'? I very much doubt it .
Jun 6 42, began the same as any other day It was the birthday of my friend P/O Del Holmberg and we had agreed to meet that evening for a celebration The weather was very warm and the bright sun seemed to the beginning of a lovely summer P/O Hopkins and I walked toward the hotel on the edge of the cobblestone street The time was 4 45 p m we would be in time for tea An English couple and two children had set their table on the lawn In front of their house Suddenly there was a whine of bullets striking the pavement, splinters of stone filled the air Something plucked at my sleeve, and I noticed a jagged tear in my uniform P/O Hopkins had a hole in the peak of his hat A plane was directly above us at 50 feet, It had black crosses on It's wings I recognized an ME109 The pilot turned has head sharply, his perplex was open, he seemed certain of kis target and the 500 pound bomb fell quickly There was an explosion and dust clung in the plane turned for France, the pilot had seconds to live British radar had packed him up on his approach from France realizing they could not intercept him in time the two Spitfires on standby raced for the sea, and as he crossed the coast. they were on has tail He dived for sea level. Skillfully evading their attcks flying so low that one of his wings touched the water The plane crashed and the pilot's body was thrown clear It was picked up by air-sea rescue and returned to us, l looked across the street the English family were dead, the full fury of the machine-gun burst had killed them all. P/O Hopkins and I began to run across to block and through the back alley to our hotel We entered through the little wooden door at the rear The bomb had struck the sleeping wing and also the recreation and dining area visible amongst the pile of rubble were the bodies of two people, one only slightly Injured, as a result of a bath tub covering him after the initial burst ARP Wardens arrived and we carried the two down on stretchers We were able to to confirm that they were the only ones on the upper floor "
The article goes on to discuss some the rescues and the gentlemens visit back in 1980

Gents, looking for info on the Luftwaffe raid against Bournemouth on the 23rd of May 1943. Could someone tell me what unit(s) were involved? (Fw190's made the attack), German losses and what was their target?
I ask because Bournemouth was the locations of 11 PDRC (Personnel Despatch and Recieving Centre) which was the receiving station for RAAF aircrew arriving in the UK. From what I can gather six RAAF airmen plus many civilians were killed in the raid. Was this a delibrate attack on RAAF personnel or were they simply in the way of a more important target?

I remember 23rd of May 1943 vividly. I was 14yrs old and lying on the top of the cliffs in Bournemouth with three friends. A German aeroplane came in low over the sea macine gunning the bathers as it came, I can still hear the rat tat tat of the machine gun. The aeropane rose as it neared the cliff, machine gunning as it passed low over us, fortunately none of us were hurt. Within seconds we heard the sound of bombs exploding. We had to go home by a round about route as the roads were closed off. We would normally have passed the Metropole Hotel which was full of members of the Royal Canadian Airforce. Unfortunately it was lunch time and many were killed.

Probably not important, but the quote below is almost right!

AFAIK there has never been a 'Kingsway Hotel' or a 'Congresstional Church' in Bournemouth.
The 'Central Hotel' and the adjacent 'Punshon Memorial Church' were damaged, the former being totally destroyed, and the latter damged badly enough to require subsequent demolition.

And although the 'Lansdowne' area does in fact have a circular roundabout at it's centre, I've never heard it referred to as the 'Lansdowne Circle', just the 'Lansdowne'. Maybe some of the billeted troops from Canada, Australia and the US did call it the 'Lansdowne Circle'?

I realise I'm probably being too pedantic, but as time goes by I kick myself more and more that I didn't ask more questions to those who witnessed these events first hand--- and now many have passed on, and it's too late to recover many of those 'fine' details. Got to keep trying to though! :)

It could not have been called Lansdowne Circle as the roundabout was not constructed till several years after the war after

Yes thank you. My Father survived, he has subsequently died.
Yesterday was the 65 anniversary of the Bournemouth Raid. I have managed to get a copy of the book "Luftwaffe Fighter-Bombers over Britain. Looks like a good read. I have read the details of the Bournemouth Raid and interested in the sketch map showing the path of the raid. (p247).If anyone is interested, go to Google Earth or Google maps and put in 59 Thistlebarrow Road Bournemouth. That was where I was living and where I was in the garden when the 'jabos' flew over the house at roof top height. Just past our house they dropped their first bomb; it landed in Bethia Road ( also shown on Google just north of the new 'Wessex Way'. That bomb killed my best friend, Michael. You can follow the path of the attack down Holdenhurst Road to the Metropole Hotel where my Father was when it received a direct hit. They also hit the Beales Department Store, which burned for three days. I saw it shortly afterwards and it was a mess of twisted girders.
The book is a good read...thank you for giving me the details.

I can recall them coming line abreast from the East very low and my mother picking me up and making for the next door's air raid shelter , but we never made it as the house collapsed on us burying us for hours, the only wound I received was the corner of a brick ripping my knee open, still bear the scar.
The Bomb was aimed at St Clements Bridge over the railway but it bounced up entering the Coop Bakery and out of there and down our chimney then glancing into the adjacent properties before exploding.Killing 2
It was whilst repair works on our property was be carried out the tail fins of the bomb were discoverd

The second most famous Australian cricketer Keith Miller was delayed that fateful Sunday and arrived late only to find some of his pals who he was due to meet had been killed at the Metropole he mentions it in his book

I want to thank you guys for your experiences and adding to this thread. It seems that despite what was stated at the beginning of this thread, there was an attack and we have eyewitnesses! Thank you all.

found these

Attachments

• metropole.jpg
    metropole.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 229
  • bournemouth_north1.jpg
    bournemouth_north1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 224
found these
The Black and white photograph is of the Metropole Hotel, at the Lansdown (No round-a-bout in 1943!). My Father, who although was in the RCAF at the time, was still tje Licencee of the Hotel and was in the building, on the left of the picture, when it was hit.

my great grandmother and great aunt were killed in that raid. Any more info on this much appreciated. i would very much appreciate a conformation on units involved and so on, haven't had time to go through this entire thread as I'm at work, but I will read it this evening.

Last edited:
my great grandmother and great aunt were killed in that raid. Any more info on this much appreciated. i would very much appreciate a conformation on units involved and so on, haven't had time to go through this entire thread as I'm at work, but I will read it this evening.

You might find this of interest norton, The war in Queens Park and Charminster, Bournemouth

My apologies. The Bournemouth Echo report that I have reads that Sunday was 22nd. May 1943. However, the 1943 calendar clearly shows that the Sunday, the day of the Raid, was 23rd. May.

I was in Bournemouth in August 2012 and went to a book launch. The Author was Angela Beleznay and she has written a book entitled "Incident 48. Raid on a South Coast Town. 1943. The ISBN is 9781897887943. It contains a wealth of information on the 23rd. May 1943 raid on Bournemouth. It is worth reading.

Wilson -
Thanks very much for advising about the Bournemouth Raid book. I just ordered it through amazon. My father was there and I'm very eager to see what this book contains. I really appreciate you taking the time to post this info - I'd never have known of the book.
Hugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back