Bournemouth raid 1943.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rather then doing the whole ILS he'd be given radar vectors to about a 9-11 mile final we'd turn him on and they'd call the ILS . This particular crew called visual (passed him off to tower)made a 3-4 mile turn on picked up the ILS (you could watch on the PAR as he corrected) and landed this saved him about 10 miles flying . If he had remained IMC doing the ILS we would have flight followed him on the PAR .This was at Goose circa 8o-83 .

That sounds like something a hot shot pilot would pull and not a particularly hard maneuver to accomplish for a large aircraft contrary to some other posts. I still don't like pilots lying to controllers. Not a good scene.

I had a good friend who's husband was killed in an F-20 accident, I think in 85, at either Goose Bay or Gander. Do you remember that happening?

lesofprimus said:
Any chance u two guys talked to each other in the early 80's???

No, I'm older than dirt. I was flying between 71-74, when we were pulling out of Vietnam.

Any chance u two guys talked to each other in the early 80's???
I think I've talked to just about every 141 or C5 ever made worked 3 Reforgers and was TDY for a 4th and Goose was a major stop we were getting a 141 about every 1/2 hour if memory serves me

Reforger was always a big deal. You didn't say if you remember the F-20 accident.
I remember the F20 crashing but can't recall where it certainly didn't when I was there . The only crashes when I was there was a flight of GAF f4's and some Raf Jags

Gents, looking for info on the Luftwaffe raid against Bournemouth on the 23rd of May 1943. Could someone tell me what unit(s) were involved? (Fw190's made the attack), German losses and what was their target?
I ask because Bournemouth was the locations of 11 PDRC (Personnel Despatch and Recieving Centre) which was the receiving station for RAAF aircrew arriving in the UK. From what I can gather six RAAF airmen plus many civilians were killed in the raid. Was this a delibrate attack on RAAF personnel or were they simply in the way of a more important target?

The Raid took place on Sunday 22nd May 1943 at lunch time. I was 10 yrs old at the time and the german aircraft flew in over the Queens Park District, east of the Town. They flew over our house at roof top height and as I was in the garden I saw them clearly.
My Father was Permanent Mess Secretary for the RCAF looking after 66 hotels in Bournemouth with Airforce personnel. He had been Manager of the Metropole Hotel before it was taken over. He was in the hotel when it was hit.
Bournemouth was the Headquarters of the Empire Air Training Scheme, for aircrew from the Empire, controlled by the RCAF.
Check the Bournemouth Daily Echo Newspaper of Monday 23rd. May 1943 which reports three german planes destryed. The planes used were FW 190s and ME 109s.

My apologies. The Bournemouth Echo report that I have reads that Sunday was 22nd. May 1943. However, the 1943 calendar clearly shows that the Sunday, the day of the Raid, was 23rd. May.

Hi Wilson:

Many thanks for that. I must ask - was your father OK?

The copy of the book I was referring to was in the Chatswood Public Library (I should know, I donated it to them in the first place.) If you're in Aussie, you may be able to arrange an inter-branch loan if you want a look at it.

Cheers,

Mark

Yes thank you. My Father survived, he has subsequently died.
Yesterday was the 65 anniversary of the Bournemouth Raid. I have managed to get a copy of the book "Luftwaffe Fighter-Bombers over Britain. Looks like a good read. I have read the details of the Bournemouth Raid and interested in the sketch map showing the path of the raid. (p247).If anyone is interested, go to Google Earth or Google maps and put in 59 Thistlebarrow Road Bournemouth. That was where I was living and where I was in the garden when the 'jabos' flew over the house at roof top height. Just past our house they dropped their first bomb; it landed in Bethia Road ( also shown on Google just north of the new 'Wessex Way'. That bomb killed my best friend, Michael. You can follow the path of the attack down Holdenhurst Road to the Metropole Hotel where my Father was when it received a direct hit. They also hit the Beales Department Store, which burned for three days. I saw it shortly afterwards and it was a mess of twisted girders.
The book is a good read...thank you for giving me the details.

Hi Wilson:

Thanks for posting back. Glad you got a hold of the book - it's very well researched, and as you say, a good read.

I've tried to re-find the scan I made of the raid map. Sadly, I've deleted it, if any of the other forumites saved a copy, perhaps they could re-post.

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark.

I have scanned the map. How do I Post it?

Hi Wilson:

If Njaco's method won't work for you, I've also sent you my email address via private message - I can post the map for you if you like.

Hi All:

Here's the map, somewhat reduced from the scan Wilson kindly sent me.

Bournemouth_Raid.jpg

If anyone wants the larger version, on which the individual streets are much clearer, drop me a p.m. I've attached the reduced version due to the dreaded bandwidth limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back