Brewster Buffalo, Airfix 1:72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

kruaxi

Airman
Jun 20, 2011
Tuscany
mab.forumfree.it
The unlucky american WW2 fighter.

Just finished.

It's the old Airfix.
Scratchbuilt cockpit but seat belts (Eduard), engraved panels, totally scratchbuilt wheels bay, engine and other things...

6307583788_77e261f727_z.jpg

6307567348_1278b09db7_z.jpg

6307567286_05b70ccd8e_z.jpg

6307583758_e09536e4cf_z.jpg

Very good job on the engine. As I recall, those Brewsters were slaughtered. :(

Depends on your definition of "slaughtered". In reality, the Buffalo squadrons suffered between 25% and 40% casualties due to combat during sustained operations over 2 months (3 months for 67 Sqn in Burma). The losses aren't that different to, say, Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain, and those units had the luxury of being rotated to the rear where they were not under constant threat of attack.

Depends on your definition of "slaughtered". In reality, the Buffalo squadrons suffered between 25% and 40% casualties due to combat during sustained operations over 2 months (3 months for 67 Sqn in Burma). The losses aren't that different to, say, Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain, and those units had the luxury of being rotated to the rear where they were not under constant threat of attack.

I was under the impression that the Singapore based squadrons were utterly wiped out. Did I get this bird and its history messed up?

Given that the squadrons ultimately lost all their aircraft because there was nowhere for them to retreat to, I guess you could say the squadrons were wiped out in terms of equipment but, as stated in my earlier post, the number of pilots killed/incapacitated due to combat was comparable with other theatres. "Bloody Shambles" and "Buffaloes Over Singapore" provide interesting reading on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back