bristol beaufighter.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ok firstly many will dispute the B-25 being the best anti-shipping aircraft, and secondly i said it was the best anti-shipping FIGHTER!! the B-25, despite shooting down enemy fighters was not a fighter..........

Some more pics. These are 455 Squadron RAAF Beaufighters off Norway, If I remember correctly. I've posted these before but will do so again cos I think they're great pics!

Attachments

• beaufightercrash_599.jpg
    beaufightercrash_599.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 463
  • beaufighterattack5_201.jpg
    beaufighterattack5_201.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 456
  • beaufighterattack4_452.jpg
    beaufighterattack4_452.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 454
  • beaufighterattack3_133.jpg
    beaufighterattack3_133.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 447
  • beaufighterattack2_171.jpg
    beaufighterattack2_171.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 443
  • beaufighterattack_835.jpg
    beaufighterattack_835.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 451
What a plane!!! Didn't they take parts from the Beaufort to help design it faster? The guns and bomb loads that the plane could carry is what I consider to make it a winner. Anything that came into it's crosshairs was sure to be destoryed. The pictures of it attacking the convoy of ships are great!

remember the pics I posted sometime ago of similiar cases ? excellent photo ops gents !!

by the way this might be of some interest, 2 Beaus were brought down by ace of 7./NJG 2, Walter Briegleb in his Ju 88G-6 coded 4R+BR.

First one was December 28, 1944 at 19.13 hrs at 30-50m off the sea. at 05 East N 01 0 7 north-northwest of Jüist/ 20 km Northwest of Borkum confirmed. Beau was from 219 squadron, the a/c coded: MM 709. Walter thought it was a Minelayer

Second one was the next evening the 29th of December at 18.39 hrs. 05011 N, 01 N 8 50 km North west of Jüist auf See-Jever, 40km NW of Borkum. this engagemnet was at 200 metres and according to the copy of his flugbuch he mentions he nearly shot the tail off the Beaufighter on a Minelaying mission.

E ~~

In the famous Battle of Bismark Sea in March 1943, the Aussie Beaufighters led the way for the USSAF B25 and A20 skipbombers. The Beaufighters "hosed" down the Japanese ships killing the AA gunners (and anyone else in the line of fire), allowing the bombers to come in unmolested.

Accounts from surviving Japanese sailors and the soldiers on the ships said it was one of the most horrific events they ever went through. The cannon shells would penetrate the sides of the ships and if they didnt expode, then they would riccochet around with often bloody results. Then the 50 cals of the B25's and A20's would add to the carnage. The decks must have run red with blood!

Wow, yeah, not much can do about that, that's alot of firepower comin at ya. Alot is sort of an understatement though.

True the beaufighter didn't have much compatition as a antiship attack plane. However there was a firse competition when the beaufighter was an nighterfighter/intruder, against the mossie.

It was a bit slow as well. But a great plane none the less. :)

True the beaufighter didn't have much compatition as a antiship attack plane. However there was a firse competition when the beaufighter was an nighterfighter/intruder, against the mossie.

It was a bit slow as well. But a great plane none the less. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back