Bristol Beaufort

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
These are pictures of a Bristol Beaufort from my book "Encyclopedia of WWII Aricraft"

Attachments

• lastscan.jpg
    lastscan.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 256
Theres a nose section a fair way restored at Moorabin Air Museum. Needs glazing and cockpit internals from when I last saw it. (dec 07)

Aeroplane did a special on the Beaufort a few issues ago now. Had some Aussie profiles in it I think.

G'day Wildcat,

A9-427 is actually QH-B.

I am actually named after FLTLT Francis Owen Smith who served with 100 Squadron and was K.I.A on 13MAR45. He was my mother's fiance and they were to wed in April; he was nearly home. (That's a story on its own.)

Web FLTLT Francis Owen Smith.jpg

My middle name, I owe to my father FLGOFF Phillip Zupp M.I.D A.M. (US) who flew 200 fighter missions in Korea with 77 Squadron.

Regards,

Owen

:salute: to F/Lt Smith.
The story of RAAF Beauforts in the Pacific is, IMO, still relatively unknown. What a shame.
Maybe its time for an interested author to write a unit history about 100 sqn. (or any Beaufort sqn at that)
wink wink, nudge nudge. :)

G'day again,

I'm up to my neck in my current book for the moment, but one I can wholeheartedly recommend is "Song of the Beauforts" by Colin M. King. Colin served with 100 Squadron. It is a very comprehensive record of the Beaufort operations.

Cheers,

Owen

One of the more obscure versions of the Beaufort was the Beaufort Mk.IX (unofficially called the "Beaufreighter"). Australia converted 46 Beauforts to this standard by fairing over the dorsal turret, removing all armament, armour plating and VHF radio. The interior was altered to accommodate six passengers and proved to be 15mph faster than the Beaufort Mk.VII due to the new aerodynamics.

One of the most famous RAAF flying accidents involved Beauforts. It was captured by Fox Movietone News cameraman Eric Brieve on 14 April 1943 on board HMAS Burra-bra. Eight men were killed.

Beaufort Crash

Hi Graeme,

That Beaufort footage is quite famous.

If I recall correctly, it used to be shown in the intro to the show, "This Fabulous Century" many years ago.

Cheers

Owen

If I recall correctly, it used to be shown in the intro to the show, "This Fabulous Century" many years ago.

Good to know that we're of the same vintage Owen! Yes it did form part of the into footage to the TV series. It was a great programme.

The Beauforts intended to perform the 'Prince of Wales' breakup. A high speed low level run where the leader climbs steeply, while his number two and three execute steep climbing turns to the left and right.

Any idea why they called the manoeuvre the 'Prince of Wales'?

Hi Graeme,

I believe that the manoeuvre was called the "Prince of Wales" because of the "Fleur de Lis". This is the official crest of the Prince of Wales and features three plumes. (see below)

Web FDL.jpg

Cheers,

Owen

Terrible footage that, I remember first reading about that incident in the John Lever book. Owen, thanks for the book recommendation, I'll have to keep an eye out for that one!
Graeme here's another Beaufreighter pic for you mate, certainly an ungainly looking beast! The second pic is one of my favourites :cool:

Attachments

• Beaufreighter.jpg
    Beaufreighter.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 100sqnRAAF6.jpg
    100sqnRAAF6.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 87
Hi All,

I thought it would be appropriate to post this image as well.

The crew of 100 SQN RAAF Beaufort A9-557. L to R; Flying Officer John Shipman, Flight Lieutenant Harry John "Jack" Fowler (Pilot), Flight Lieutenant 'Frank' Owen Smith and Flying Officer Geoff Waite.

This crew was lost on operations 13th March 1945.

Web Smith.jpg

Regards,

Owen

Great pics guys, I've always liked that B24 shot Graeme! :cool:
Owen, I have seen that pic before and doing a quick search on the war memorial site came up with this further pic of FLTLT Smith. No doubt you've already seen it, but I thought I would post it anyway.

Attachments

• P02841.jpg
    P02841.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 104

Users who are viewing this thread

Back