How dangerous was the RAF Bristol Beaufort Mk I and Mk Ia?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Another book that covers Australian Beaufort accidents is the biography of Charles Learmonth who was killed in a Beaufort crash. This crash actually proved that the elevator trim was the cause of many of the Aus Beaufort accidents. The Breeze actuators used on many other aircraft was disassembling itself in flight and then causing the aircraft to go into an unrecoverable dive. As far as I know, this failure was exclusive to Australian made AWA actuators. Certainly the same unit made by Plessey in the UK was trouble free on the RAAF Beaufighters and the US made ones on the P-40s and other aircraft were also trouble free.

Further, a significant number of early Aus Beauforts were bought down by exhaust gasses (carbon monoxide) entering the cockpit and incapacitating the pilot.
This is very useful. I did not know about Learmouth's biography and I'll have to get it. Many thanks!

Was the Westland Whirlwind classed as a long range fighter ?
Not sure if it was still in use at the end of 1942.

Was the Westland Whirlwind classed as a long range fighter ?
Not sure if it was still in use at the end of 1942.
Hi
It was considered 'longer-ranged' then other single seat fighters like the Hurricane and Spitfire. The Whirlwind served in No. 137 Sqn. until June 1943, replaced by Hurricane IVs, and with No. 263 Sqn. until November 1943, replaced by Typhoons.
The data that was put on the previous post was not for the end of 1942, that was when it was 'published', it was compiled over a period of time previously, it is that time period that we do not have the dates for.

Mike

Hi
It was considered 'longer-ranged' then other single seat fighters like the Hurricane and Spitfire. The Whirlwind served in No. 137 Sqn. until June 1943, replaced by Hurricane IVs, and with No. 263 Sqn. until November 1943, replaced by Typhoons.
The data that was put on the previous post was not for the end of 1942, that was when it was 'published', it was compiled over a period of time previously, it is that time period that we do not have the dates for.

Mike

The Whirlwind was never considered 'long-range' -- it was basically the same as the Hurrie / Spit.

Hurricane I: 600 miles
Spitfire I: 575 miles
Whirlwind I: 590 miles

Long-range Beaufighter I had a range of 1870 miles with a 76 imp gal fuel allowance (above figures are without allowance, I'm fairly certain).

Last edited:
Not to pick on the British too much the Americans had the Curtiss AT-9

From Wiki:
"Because of its difficult flying characteristics the AT-9 was not offered for sale to civilians after the war, although many non-flying examples were given to ground schools for training purposes."
They built 792 of them.
That was a deliberate design choice.

The AT-9 was purposely designed to be less stable and proved to be difficult to fly or land, which made it particularly suitable for teaching new pilots to cope with the demanding flight characteristics of a new generation of high-performance, multi-engined aircraft such as the Martin B-26 Marauder and Lockheed P-38 Lightning.

A telling bit from a No.39 Squadron report on operations Sep 42 - June 43:

Only Beaufort Mark IIs were used by this Squadron, although on a few occasions Mark Is were unwillingly used for training. No definite case of engine failure is known, although two aircraft forced landed without damage in the Middle East with a broken oil pipe. A modified oil banjo union has since cured this trouble. The running of the Twin Wasp has proved very reliable at all times.

Emphasis mine.

Well, they would sell you a Martin B-26 Marauder or a P-38, but they wouldn't sell you the AT-9??????
Because it was designed solely for military training, with no consideration whatsoever towards meeting CAA airworthiness standards... thus it could NOT be legally registered as a civilian aircraft. When they were no longer needed for training they were scrapped.

The other aircraft took a bit before any civilians could get their hands on a flying/could be made flyable example (and the CAA had loosened its registration standards) - by which time no AT-9s existed.

I'd guess you'd have to say that Beauforts were bloody dangerous if you were flying in one.

Data from Nov 1942
Probability of completing tours of duty: One Tour Two Tours
Catalina Flying Boat 77% 60%
Long Range Fighter 59.5% 39.5%
Heavy and Medium Bombers 44% 19.5%
Day Fighter 43% 18.5%
Night Fighter 39% 15%
Light Bomber 25.5% 6.5%
Torpedo Bomber 17.5% 3%

Odd that for other than long range fighters the probabilities seemed to be markedly worse for experienced crews. Perhaps this reflects such crews being assigned to tougher missions?

In any case, Beaufort light bomber or Beaufort torpedo bomber was a grim assignment.

And I wonder what a Long Range Fighter was to the RAF in late 1942? The Mustang had not been in combat but a month or so, and I can only think that the Beaufighter and maybe the Mosquito were the others.
Quite unfair to the Beaufort. Every torpedo bomber suffered terrible loses in 1942. A Devastator, or Avenger for that matter, had little chance of surviving a single mission let alone a tour. The life expectancy of a Kate crew would be extremely low as well. Torpedo bombers have to fly low and slow leaving them extremely vulnerable to fighters. The USN realized this and consider dropping them entirely before WWII. As an example the USS Ranger was originally built without provisions for torpedo bombers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back