British P40 Tomahawk Camoflage

Discussion in 'Painting Questions, Tutorials and Guidebooks' started by dankotyn, Sep 24, 2008.

1. dankotyn

dankotyn New Member

Does anyone know if any stencils or kits exist for 1/48th British Tomahawk with Dark Earth and Dark Green? Also, any advice on getting a fairly clean camo line? Seems the British Camo lines were pretty hard.

2. Catch22

Catch22 Well-Known Member

Graphic Designer
    Home Page:
    I can't answer your first question, but for the second one it depends on what you are using. Regardless, your best bet is probably just painters tape, NOT masking tape as it's been ripping paint off recently on mine anyway.

3. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
    Look at the link, plase:

AMtech 1/48 P-40E Warhawk

AMtech 1/48 P-40E Warhawk by Scott Van Aken

As far as the masking tape is concerned, I agree with Catch22 to a certain extend only.The painters tape is a very good solution and quite cheap.The tape is available commonly.Of course you can buy a masking tape for models offered by Tamiya.But it is quite expensive.However it is a very good masking tape.The paint peeling off with masking tape is much more common for acrylic paints than enamels.That's way there are some ways of applying these acrylic ones on a model in order to avoid or limit the pelling off effect.

4. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Agree with Wurger about the tape. I used to use normal masking tape, or even 'Selotape', after pulling it through my fingers to remove some of the adhesive. But, for a number of years now I've been using Tamiya masking tape. Yes, it is expensive, compared to other tapes, but it is well worth it, as it can be re-positioned, cut easily, it's thin and will conform to curves and, if you're careful, sometimes you can use the same piece twice!
    It's available in various widths, but I find the 10mm width the most convenient. It's £3.75 in the U.K., which equates to about $7 or $8 U.S., but it might be cheaper in the 'States, as the import duty and taxes in the U.K. make a difference!