Britishness

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NI had not intended to insult my fellow Americans, but apparently I have. For that, I apologize, no insult was intended.

I thought I'd get flak for calling Blair a "Bush Stroking lackey"

You kept people busy... Thanks for the deflection!

Yes, it is definitely a matter of opinion, I never stated otherwise (I don't think); and, yes, I am happy here, I still feel the US is the greatest country on earth (even with all of it's problems).

As for when I'm moving, probably never; but a guy can dream, can't he?

Just out of curiosity - why couldn't you move there? It's perfectly possible...

Well, I stay north of the border from "THEM". Read somewhere once that, if you survive in Glasgow, you'll survive anywhere. I don't know about that, I like the place and the people, that's why stayed here instead for moving back to Sweden, after that me and my ex broke up......

An outside view of any nation always varies from those of the indigenous populace.
This is purely caused by cultural differences, up till now for my own part I have never been to any country that does not display the full gambit from total arseholes to great people, and from wonderful sites to real dumps its the way of the world and as far as I'm concerned it would be a really boring existence if we were all the same.
Over all I have found 99% of people have the same goals in life and the little digs we have at each other are very superficial (our British teeth are improving by the way, hows your US obesity). Some go a bit over the top but thats what freedom of speech will throw up once in a while.
I will just add that although travel (mainly flight) has improved the average persons own knowledge of other nations. IMO it has made for very eclectic nations with large immigrant sections and this huge variety of ethnic diversity has watered down the original and unique flavour of most nations which I think is a shame.

Marcel,

IMO Brits and Americans are BOTH classy. My major point is that a compliment can be made to a certain group (in this case the Brits) without reflecting negatively on another (Americans).

TO

.. and so which other population group is NOT classy? Are you implying that ONLY Brits and Gringos are classy ? :) :)

Making comparisons is fair, and if you make comparisons one of the 'groups' is likely ranking lower than the other... but this is not by definition an offense

I.e. - Americans are much more proactive than Italians
- Italians have much better food habit than Americans

Both statements are sustainable, but is the first statement offensive for Italians and the second offensive for Americans?
(regardless if any is true or not, this is not the point)

.. and so which other population group is NOT classy? Are you implying that ONLY Brits and Gringos are classy ? :) :)

That's not the implication at all. :)
Making comparisons is fair, and if you make comparisons one of the 'groups' is likely ranking lower than the other... but this is not by definition an offense

I.e. - Americans are much more proactive than Italians
- Italians have much better food habit than Americans

Both statements are sustainable, but is the first statement offensive for Italians and the second offensive for Americans?
(regardless if any is true or not, this is not the point)

Neither of those statements are offensive to me.

TO

Great things about Britain:

Stonehenge
Swearing
Dr Who
Pubs
History
Buildings
Green Fields
Monty Python
Weird People
The BBC
No Dangerous Animals
No Dangerous Weather
Winding Country Roads
Sarcasm
Irony
Ice Cream Vans
Punk
Led Zeppelin
The London Eye
Queueing
Funny Ethnic Mixtures
The Hovercraft
Abandoned Cold War Sites
Comedians in Drag
Roundabouts
Having a 'Fag'
Milk Delivered to Your Door

Not So Great:

Chavs
Pompous Art Critics
Reality TV
Cooks on TV
Waiting to see a Doctor
Newspapers like the Sport
Tuned Hatchbacks like Vauxhall Novas
Anarchists
Scottish Prime Ministers
Public Transport
The M25

Add to the 'greats'

- Beatles
- Old Spiders (MG B, Spitfire)
- QUAD ESL
- Michell Gyrodek
- Bitter Ale

Add to the 'Bads'

- Old Spiders (why did they put tractor engines in such neat little cars?)
- Food (with some remerkab le exception)

I agree with Matt (see Post #14) on this one especially the "Pro's" catagory. I spent a few days in Portsmouth back in 1981 and partied with the RN at HMS Dadelus. What a great bunch of people! I've also encountered members of the RN and RAF at a few other places around the globe and they always made me feel welcome we all had a good time. Lots of good memories!

What's wrong with Scottish prime ministers?

Not anti scottish?

Definitely not! I love Scotland, and have been there many times, but there is something about Gordon Brown that enrages me - it's that whole 'we know better than you' thing. I just hated his budgets when he was Chancellor - it was all aimed at penalising motorists, smokers, and beer drinkers - and you just know he is that Puritanical sort who would ban dancing if he could..

I just see the next few years as being dull, sensible, and 'prudent' under the rule of this charmless git... :mad:

yeah he not charm but I would prefer Brown anyday over King Tony.

Nothing wrong with Prudence.

I think I've told this story before. We had a company of RM come to MCB Quantico a couple years ago. In the barracks there were large communal laundry rooms. Well some RM went to the laundry room, took their cammies off and put them in the wash, and walked back to their rooms naked.

Friggen hilarious - but a female saw it and got offended... so they had to be informed to not walk around the barracks naked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back