Building a 1/48 Hangar...HELP! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

photo(1).JPG
photo.JPG

Here's the current progress...
I have a single wall section complete and unfortunately ran out of my bass wood stock so I will need to make another trip to the hobby shop and procure more! Hopefully this trip won't cost me more then the last two trips ($160 and $83, excluding gas) and I will be back on track with completing the second wall section. As for the roof, I am torn between building the T2 type (with the triangular roof) and a more curved arch roof type. My father has said he thinks that using an arch would look better, however, for arguments sake I would like to keep the idea as authentic as possible, and not build something that looks like a barn...especially with all the work going into building up the wall sections. Thoughts on this?

One other concern I have: the wall sections, should there be more wall supports, or should I leave it as is?

I have a little trick up my sleeve (and hoping it will work out) for shortness of this hangar; which is going to be 100' long in O Scale (1/48) by 70' wide...courtesy of Shepard Paine, will post more pictures as the build continues.
As always, thoughts are helpful and encouraged....

Good stuff so far.
Building an arched roof could turn out a lot more difficult, but not impossible. The 'Belfast Truss' hangars were built as a double-arched structure, but the trusses (from which the name is derived) would be a complex item to replicate.
Here's some internal shots of the 'Belfast' hangar, showing the trusses, support pillars, doors and walls, and an internal shot of a 'T2' hangar.
Good luck!
EDIT: Note that, during WW2, the windows high in the walls of the 'Belfast' hangars, and those in the roof of the 'T2' type, were 'blacked out' by painting over them, sometimes internally with a dark blue paint, but more often totally black, with the outside glass painted in camouflage colours (or black on late war, overall black 'T2' hangars.).

Attachments

• Czech 073.jpg
    Czech 073.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Czech 074.jpg
    Czech 074.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Czech 077.jpg
    Czech 077.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Czech 078.jpg
    Czech 078.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Czech 097.jpg
    Czech 097.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Czech 108.jpg
    Czech 108.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Elvington 042.jpg
    Elvington 042.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
That T2 Hangar is looking more possible then completing an arch (however I like the challenge). Would you happen to have any interior pictures of the Duxford hangar? What I'm thinking is I may try working on both types (arch and standard triangle), designing the plans first of course!
On another note, I didn't take any pictures, but my father mapped out the size of the layout based on the wall sections that I have completed and I'm curious to inquire with everyone helping me with the information in this thread what they think would make the best base for this hangar?

Many thanks for all your help thus far!
-Pete

I've had a little progress since my last update, work and my fatherly duties have been keeping me busy.
Laid out the roof, front wall and the door plans; this gave me a good outline of the overall size of the hangar (as Airframes stated a while back) this is going to be HUGE!

Was looking like a good start...
photo 3.JPG

But after I took it off the board, it was warped and now I'm back to the drawing board :-/

On a lighter note, my father bought me an airbrush for my birthday last week..
photo 2.JPG

which will come in handy!

I've already tried it out with the XF-21 (Sky) color...and it will look great on my Spitfires that are going in the hangar I think?
photo 1.JPG

Last edited:
As it sits now, had to use a different size stock for the roof trusses..I have one laid out now, only five more left (I think)?
Will keep updating as I can, plenty of things going on to divert my attention lately (but I suppose that's why this is a hobby and not work) :)

photo(3).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back