But does it have cup holders?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not if Microsoft writes the operating system! If you think people get hacked with PCs today, imagine if that contraption had an internet capability. Hack in and cause a LOT of deaths. Also, parking lot "fender benders" might take on a whole new significance.

500 miles and a Megawatt? There ain't no such battery. 500 miles at 200 mph is 2.5 hours. 2.5 times 1 megawatt is 2.5 megawatt-hours for an energy rating at a current of 1,000,000 Amps! That's more than Hoover Dam puts out. If THAT battery shorts out, it might make a magnesium flare look dim.

And, I also want to know if it has cupholders and if it comes in British Racing Green, Ferrari red, Gang Green, and baby-crap yellow with pinstripes and spinner hubs on the wheels, and a standard radar jammer.

Not if Microsoft writes the operating system! If you think people get hacked with PCs today, imagine if that contraption had an internet capability. Hack in and cause a LOT of deaths. Also, parking lot "fender benders" might take on a whole new significance.

500 miles and a Megawatt? There ain't no such battery. 500 miles at 200 mph is 2.5 hours. 2.5 times 1 megawatt is 2.5 megawatt-hours for an energy rating at a current of 1,000,000 Amps! That's more than Hoover Dam puts out. If THAT battery shorts out, it might make a magnesium flare look dim.

Vehicle hacking already occurs today. Major news just did a story on this.

The IC engine was running and recharging the battery.

Remember that a megawatt is the same as 1340 horsepower. I doubt any sort of conventional chemical battery would be used for that sort of power ... way, WAY too heavy. I'd think it'd either be a gas turbine or high output fuel cell array. I suppose it could be diesel electric, but that'd be hard to get down to turbine power/weight. (diesel aero engine tech is catching up there, though, so maybe) Not that >1000 horsepower is excessive ... for small passenger aircraft.

If it's 'plug in' electric, it'd have to be a fuel cell with an onboard electrolysis set-up for hydrogen generation. But hydrogen really doesn't seem like a great idea here, even if they DID get hydrogen absorbing matrixes working that's only as good (volume wise) as cryogenic hydrogen and a LOT more bulk than other fuels. (methanol fuel cells would work, but that's more weight and still less than half the energy density of jet fuel or diesel by weight or volume) Engineering commercial airliners that could practically run on hydrogen is hard enough ... scaling that down to a small passenger vehicle is probably an order of magnitude worse. (it's not like engineering ground vehicles, that's for sure XD )

Last edited:
Batteries don't produce horsepower; they produce Amp-hours, and the Amp-hour is not a unit of energy. To get watts you have to multiply instantaneous volltage and current, and there is no direct relation to Amp-hours. Amp-hours convert directly to Coluombs.

Amp-hours is sort of a measure of capacity or energy potential. A bit like car X has a 12 gallon gas tank and there are 18700 btu's of energy per gallon. Of course since most batteries vary a bit on actual amp-hours depending on current draw (high current draw uses battery capacity "faster" than a low current draw) amp hours is useful for comparing battery capacity only at similar current draws. For instance old lead-acid batteries rated at 70 amp hours could give you 3.5 amps for 20 hours. However if you tried to pull 35 amps they lasted well under 2 hours and perhaps not even 1 hour.
A bit like trying to figure a car's range from the size of the fuel tank and disregarding speed or terrain.

DischargeCurvesLeadAcidBattery_2.jpg

That's for a particular type of battery and the CA value of 20 Amo-hours doesn't come all that close to 1,000,000 Amps or even 1,000 amps or even 100 amps.

You can't dynamite a mountain top with a firecracker and you won't be pwoering that flying mousetrap with any batteries I know of that are light enough to be flown about.

When I was in the USAF, we had some batteries that were rated at 16,000 Amps-hours and we used 14 of them in parallel to power a particular set of meachinery if commercial power failed until backup power could come online. Each one weighed 2,200 pounds and wouldn't power this megawatt flying mousetrap for even 2 seconds.

Reasonably, there is no such battery except in the imagination of the inventor. A commercial megawatt generator wouldn't come CLOSE to fitting and it weighs several tons and takes a large crane to install. So I doubt this comic book device will be flitting about until Spider Man and the Fantastic Four have a falling out and the Justice League dissolves into commercial spinoffs that actually make money for somone other than OsCorp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back