C-130 crash in Iraq FUBAR

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
Here's what happens when you don't properly "NOTAM" (notice to airmen) an airfield under construction. A lack of communication over in Iraq.

Last week, one C-23 Sherpa flew into a U.S. operated airfield in Iraq during the day and saw there was construction equipment on the runway. Yet there was no NOTAM. A trench was being dug in the runway, and it was not marked. It's a long runway and they just landed beyond the construction. They filed a safety hazard report that was immediately forwarded to our higher headquarters and to the Air Force wing based here.

Well, it seems the construction continued and still was not marked or
NOTAM'ed or anything. A C-130 landed on the runway the night of the 29th and didn't see the construction. It wound up going through what is now a large pit on the runway. A few pictures are attached. The C-130 was totaled.

There were several injuries to the crew and the few passengers that were on board but luckily nobody was killed. Quite the set of failures somewhere in the system regarding this improper construction and no notifications about it.

Attachments

• back_169.jpg
    back_169.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 2,174
  • farback.jpg
    farback.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 1,943
  • lside.jpg
    lside.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 2,001
  • rside.jpg
    rside.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 2,142
  • overview.jpg
    overview.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,932
Jesus, it's lucky no one was killed! I hope someone hangs, over that!
That's not the sort of thing that should have ever been allowed to happen, especially when they've been called on it already! :confused:

That certainly is a credit to the C-130 design. The fuselage is mostly intact.

They are brilliant aircraft. I think I read somewhere that not only have they been in front-line military service the longest but also serve with the most countries (60 +)

My dad went down to the Falklands in a Herc after loading up the Atlantic Conveyor.

My longest C-130 flight, I don't remember the timeframe, but the flight followed this path.

Depart RAF Mildenhall, England
Fuel/cargo stop, Thule Greenland,
Fuel/passenger stop, Langley AFB, Virginia
Fuel/passenger stop, Travis AFB, California
Fuel/cargo stop, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
Final Destination, Korea (Don't remember where we landed, I was wiped out!)

Spent 3 days in the DMZ and flew back to England via the same route!

That took me about a week to get back in sync again.

Back in "the day", my dad travelled back and forth from Alert in Hercs. It was the only large aircraft capable of that sort of regular arctic operation. Helluva workhorse! He grew to hate the damn thing! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back