Calgary's Mosquito For Sale?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, and a fuselage in front of it to boot!

By the way, they also had a complete Bristol Hercules engine in the shop as well, undergoing restoration. Shout if you'd like pics.

Wow, I hope you see this through, imagine telling the kids you were part of the restoration for one of Canada's most beautiful aircraft :) and the pics would be amazing :D the amount of info. you could give to modelers everywhere from this beautiful bird :D

Terrific Andy, great to see and also brilliant of the museum to allow such access to the pieces. Is the aircraft on the wall behind that Terry mentions a Cessna T-50 Bobcat?

Looks like much work to be done. Here are a couple of a Mossie under very long term restoration in similar condition here in NZ, near Christchurch.

NZ2328i.jpg

NZ2328ii.jpg

Loking forward to more photos, Andy.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry. Crossed our posts so I didn't see your pics. Thanks for posting. I'm not sure of the aircraft hanging on the wall but the museum does not list a T-50 Bobcat in its collection. However, it has a Cessna Crane and an Oxford Airspeed awaiting restoration and one of these could be what's hanging on the wall.

Igor, I'm not officially on board yet as a volunteer though the application has gone in and I hope to get involved. There's a lot to do before actual work starts, beginning with the cataloging of all the parts. There's also testing to be done on the structure to see if there are any invisible defects that might cause concern for placing a couple of working 1800HP engines on the airframe.

Here's the next batch of pics starting with one of the wheel wells. Sorry about the shake - it was a bit of an awkward stance.

IMG_0689.JPG

This is one of the flap attachment points with landing gear framing in the foreground.

IMG_0690.JPG

Lost track of where this is but I'm pretty sure it is on the underside of the wing at the center section directly over the bomb bay where, I believe but am not certain, some of the fuel tanks were suspended from the straps you can see in the pic.

IMG_0691.JPG

One of the flaps with apparent water damage and delamination:

IMG_0692.JPG

The tailplane is resting on crates containing numerous bit and pieces of hoses, bolts, wiring harnesses, etc.. Not sure what the cylindrical container is.

IMG_0693.JPG

The rudder, showing the 50's vintage paint scheme still intake on the fabric covering.

IMG_0688.JPG

More to come guys so stay tuned.

Last edited:
Did you mention in your application that you are on this forum :D? (not that it might help, but you never know :D)

Next batch:

Tail fin:

IMG_0694.JPG

Obvious, although this was likely a retrofit done by Spartan to better facilitate the aerial survey work.

IMG_0695.JPG

One of the radiators:

IMG_0696.JPG

I'm guessing the panel over what was the bomb bay:

IMG_0697.JPG

I believe this to be a section of the engine firewall with the visible surface being the one facing the wheel well.

IMG_0698.JPG

Obvious:

IMG_0699.JPG

Cessna Crane...
T-50 Bobcat, same thing. Answers my question. Thanks

Sorry about the shake - it was a bit of an awkward stance

Something akin to Adrian Smith (guitarist with British spandex cladded rock group Iron Maiden) on stage wielding a Fender Strat, Id imagine! I know the stance trying to get interesting angles. Keep the pics coming, very interesting.

Fantastic photos Andy and Grant! Perfect for my mossie run which you'll see round dec/ jan if all goes well. Thanks!

Have a small magazine clipping on Spartan Air Services B.35 VR796, when she was up for sale in 1996.

Grant, our own '109 roaming' (Daniel) who I mentioned has been helping out with the Ferrymead restoration over the last few years. He posted a few pics a while back somewhere.

Next batch with minimal description:

IMG_0700.JPG

Fuel tanks, I believe. Not sure what the gizmo in between them is.

IMG_0701.JPG

The other cooler block.

IMG_0702.JPG

Fuselage with restored Bollingbroke behind.

IMG_0703.JPG

Rear fuselage. The blue patch is a piece of skin with the original PR colour on it. Will post a closeup later

IMG_0704.JPG

Some construction details

IMG_0705.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back