Canada!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plan_D said:
Yes. I recognised many British people didn't understand that these people were from the Commonwealth or Free soldiers from defeated nations. Bomber Command was something up to 25% Canadian!

I knew that a lot Canadian pilots ended up in bombers, but I'm surprised that they were so many !

No problem. Those are just the RCAF bomber squadrons. There were Canadians with RAF squadrons as well, like the articles indicate, who'd been there from the beginning. Read the bit about Canadians in the Dams Raid, it's interesting. They also mention Flight Lieutenant Joe McCarthy, who was an American flying with the RCAF. There were several in the RCAF, and a few Canucks with the USAAF as well.

If you're interested, do some digging. There's all kinds of info out there.

Nonskimmer said:
Lets hear from some Aussies and Kiwis on this stuff. This is getting interesting.

OK here's some stats from the Aussie effort in WWII

Out of a Population of only 6.9million, 993 000 enlisted into the armed forces, with 575 799 serving over seas.
Australia spent 2,132,743,000 pounds on Defence Expenditure.

Casualties-
Battle related deaths 19 235
non battle related deaths 20 194
WIA 23 477
POW 28 756
POW deaths 8 031
Civilian deaths 735

Australian's fought against the Germans, Japanese, Italians and Vichy French in all theaters of the War. Some notable battles fought by Australians include - Battle of Britain, Tobruk, El Alamein, Crete, Syria, Matapan, Malaya and Singapore, Coral Sea, Bismarck Sea, Papua New Guinea, Bougainville, New Britain, Borneo, and Many many more.
Thousands of Aussies served with the RAF particulary Bomber Command, were 3 500 were KIA.

The Australian Army with the support of the RAAF were the first Allied force to defeat the Japanese on land at Milne Bay in New Guinea. RAAF Hudsons were the first Allied aircraft to engage the Japanese just hours before Pearl Harbour. (I'm talking at the start of the Pacific war not including the Chinese and flying Tigers).

Australia came under attack for the first time in its history when the Japanese launched 188 planes from the Akagi, Kaga, Soryu and Hiryu plus 54 land based bombers from Timor agaisnt Darwin on 19 Feb 1942. The raid cost 8 ships sunk plus 11 damaged with a total of 243 people killed. The only air opposition was from 10 brave American pilots in P-40's, all were shot down and only 4 survived (if my memory is correct) all were immediately decorated.
The Austarlian mainland was bombed for a total of 64 times. The Japanese also sent 3 midget Subs into Sydney Harbour killings 21 RAN sailors for the loss of all 3 subs and their crew. (Interestingly the Jap Sailors were all given a full military funeral and their ashes sent back home to thier families in Japan!! Too bad our boys didn't get the same treatment when they were butchered in the POW camps.), Sydney also suffered a few attacks by Naval bombardment with minor damage.

And there's my very brief overview of Australia in WWII.

Maestro said:
plan_D said:
Yes. I recognised many British people didn't understand that these people were from the Commonwealth or Free soldiers from defeated nations. Bomber Command was something up to 25% Canadian!

I knew that a lot Canadian pilots ended up in bombers, but I'm surprised that they were so many !

It appears that it was a real mixed bag with the common wealth service personel and units My uncle was a pilot in the Canadian Bison Squadron (Wellingtons) with a mixed Aussie,Pommie Kanuck crew.
My old man worked alot with the Canadian and US Ranger troops.
so I think it was so intergrated that it was as Maestro pointed out not regognised by UK civvies the numbers of oversea personnel involved.

:oops: I didn't know of the contributions of Canada in the Pacific Theatre! I have read and seen a lot of info on the contribution of Canada in Europe and the atom bomb project. As some of you have said WW2 was really a group effort.

Yes that it was. I believe Canada and Australia though were the 2 biggest besides the US and England. Russia does not count because we are talking about the commonwealths.

RAGMAN you're not alone. Even the Canadian government puts almost all emphasis on the European contributions and practically nothing is ever mentioned about the Pacific or CBI, other than Hong Kong early on. We were there. In many cases it was as part of RN or RAF units, but we were there. Read up on the Aleutians as well.

Getting back to Italy, have you ever heard of the First Special Service Force? It was an elite combined Canadian/American group (although mostly American) that fought in Italy. There was even an old Hollywood movie made about them (although it was typically completely inaccurate) called the Devil's Brigade.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?source=feature/italy99/backgrounders/special

Admittedly, I'm not real good with many of the details myself at the moment, but go over the first page of this thread. PD and I go over some of it in brief.

Well, that and the fact that I'm too lazy to do a lot of typing right now. ;)

Yeah I should have done that to begin with. I was just too lazy to go back to the first page. I know its just a click.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back