Canadian Air Frce against U.S. Air Force (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jank

Senior Airman
Mar 21, 2005
Was having a discussion with a chap who just got out of the Canadian Air Corp who was satying that in mock figher engagements, Canadian fighter pilots usually win against U.S. pilots.

Is that really true?

I for one wouldn't know, but it's become my understanding that an awful lot of US Airforce fighter pilots these days are reservists. I guess I should be asking if that's true. If so, it could explain a thing or two about that. :dontknow:
Canadian pilots are good though, you can bet on it.

To my knowledge though (and I could be wrong), Canadian fighter pilots haven't actually been in real air to air combat in quite some time, although they have conducted actual air to ground sorties.

To my knowledge though (and I could be wrong), Canadian fighter pilots haven't actually been in real air to air combat

Not since Korea, unless you count those two snowbirds colliding.

The Canadian Airforce along with the Navy take after Britains moder day tactics so yeah theyre really well trained, I think its safe to say that we are of envy for our Discipline, Profesionalism and all around skill, but in return we are envious of the fact that everyone else has better toys than we do.

I knew guys who flew exchange - American in Canada and visa versa - it's a tough call. I have found the CAF very professional and they seem to take care of the little they have.

I think it's going to depend on equipment, the sceniro and tactics, but the Canadians will always be fighting grossly outnumbered.....

"fighting grossly outnumbered....."

You have just hit the Bullseye on that one man, I was just brushing up on my History earlier toaday, Reading about such battles as, Hong Kong and Kowloon, Korea 38th paralell(my regiment got an American award for that one), Newfoundlanders at Beaumont Hamel, Battle of Caan and many others. all through our history of war weve been outnumbered.

102first_hussars said:

You have just hit the Bullseye on that one man, I was just brushing up on my History earlier toaday, Reading about such battles as, Hong Kong and Kowloon, Korea 38th paralell(my regiment got an American award for that one), Newfoundlanders at Beaumont Hamel, Battle of Caan and many others. all through our history of war weve been outnumbered.
what citation did the loyal edmonton guys get from US

pbfoot said:
102first_hussars said:

Well the Loyal Eddies is a part of the PPCLI, they got an American Citation.

Anyway FBJ put it quite well, however these days training though a big part is useless if the enemy has more and better tools than you do, if a group of Cf-18s fought head on with a group of American F15's The Canadians would pounce maybe taking down 1 or 2 planes depending how fast the f-15's respond to evade, then once the F-15's manage to pull themselves together and get into the fight we might be looking at an even ratio, However If we ever did meet head on it probably be against F-22's in which we would had our asses kicked, thats my imagination, Pb foot is or was in the Canadian Air Force maybe he can give you a nicer picture then I did.

pbfoot said:
The 2nd Battalion of the PPCLI was awarded the US Presidential Unit Citation for action during the Battle of Kapyong, during the Korean War.
The 3rd Battalion of the Royal Australian Regiment was awarded it too, for action in the same battle. The only two Commonwealth battalions to be so awarded by the Americans. I didn't know the honour carried over to the Loyal Edmonton Regiment though.

102first_hussars said:
pbfoot said:
102first_hussars said:

Well the Loyal Eddies is a part of the PPCLI, they got an American Citation.

Anyway FBJ put it quite well, however these days training though a big part is useless if the enemy has more and better tools than you do, if a group of Cf-18s fought head on with a group of American F15's The Canadians would pounce maybe taking down 1 or 2 planes depending how fast the f-15's respond to evade, then once the F-15's manage to pull themselves together and get into the fight we might be looking at an even ratio, However If we ever did meet head on it probably be against F-22's in which we would had our asses kicked, thats my imagination, Pb foot is or was in the Canadian Air Force maybe he can give you a nicer picture then I did.

I think the CF-18 will have a disadvantage in radar systems. If you bring the F-22 into the mix, there is no hope. Here is some info on the F-22....

"Simulations conducted by British Aerospace and the British Defense Research Agency compared the effectiveness of the F-15C, Rafale, EF-2000, and F-22 against the Russian Su-35 armed with active radar missiles similar to the AIM-120 Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile (AMRAAM). The Rafale achieved a 1:1 kill ratio (1 Su-35 destroyed for each Rafale lost). The EF-2000 kill ratio was 4.5:1 while the F-22 achieved a ratio of 10:1. In stark contrast was the F-15C, losing 1.3 Eagles for each Su-35 destroyed."

I wouldnt have been surprised that the F15 wasnt doing to well against modern fighters.

Remember, the F15 is an early 70's airframe design. Its over 30 years old.

To put it in historical perspective, the number of years from when WW2 ended to when the F15 first took flight, is the same number of years from today till when the Eagle first flew.

Time has moved forward and aircraft like the F15 and F14 are approaching the end of their usefull lifetimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back