Can't view attachments.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes Marcel, I did all that as suggested. The thing is, I was running on IE before, without problems with seeing pics, just getting slow. That's why I changed to Firefox. I then posted the pics, and got the blank 'Attached Images' box. So I went back to IE, which is now the new, updated version 8, and the blank box has changed to the individula small square boxes with a red 'X' in each one.
I'm going to leave it for tonight, as I must go and stretch out, as I'm starting to ache a bit. I'd really, really appreciate it if anyone can suggest something to solve the problem though.

Yup that's also a possibility, but let's first make sure the cookies were not the problem or any other simple setting.

In fact these cookies aren't responsible for a pic showing. These make finding and accessing sites easier for the net browser.If a pic can be dispalyed correctly it is fault of the net browser settings I think.

Terry what a message is displayed when you are trying to click a square with the red x and use the show pic option?

No message is showing Wojtek. Normally, the box will have a red 'X' and the words 'Undefined', and I swipe the cursor over this. It then requests Shift+R, which I key, and the pics open. this time, the boxes are small squares with the 'X'. Wiping the cursor over doesn't have any effect, and neither does clicking, with right or left buttons on the mouse. I tried clicking with 'Show Picture', and nothing happened either!

In fact these cookies aren't responsible for a pic showing. These make finding and accessing sites easier for the net browser.If a pic can be dispalyed correctly it is fault of the net browser settings I think.

Terry what a message is displayed when you are trying to click a square with the red x and use the show pic option?

Agreed, but some sites use them for display settings, not sure if it's the case on this forum.
You think it's a broken registry key?

Generally you are right Marcel. But I don't tkink it is the system registry fault.The red x appears when there are problems with the pic accessing. It can be for a few reaon. Mostly it is the wrong name of the pic or the bad file name of extension. Also it can be caused by wrong working additional to a net browser programs. For instance the flashplayer. But the main problem are a net browser settings usually.

Last edited:
Hmm. If I knew what a flashplayer was I could answer! Sorry, my knowledge of what's what is terrible! I've just gone through all of the relevant settings for IE 8, and as far as i can see, those needed to view any images, videos or similar are all installed and working. I don't know if it makes any difference, but now, every time I post something, the two GB icons appear, BUT, when the next post is posted, or if I go out of one page then come back, those icons have changed to the two red X's, like everyone elses. I've had a look at some other web-sites, and I can open pics and everything else without problem. the only place I'm having problems with is the forum!

the only place I'm having problems with is the forum!

Now it sounds really different. Terry did you reset all cookies for the IE broweser?

If not try Tools -> Net Options -> General section -> Temporary Internet Files -> Delete Files.

When ready click OK button.

Already done that Wojtek, but I'll do it again. Then, do you think it would make a difference if i re-installed Firefox?
I'll be back in a bit, going to do the clearing again.

Wait for a while please.

When you cleared these cookies did you have the forum open? I mean you have been logged in.

I'm not sure if I had the forum open the first time, but I've just done it again, with the forum still running, and there's no difference. Should I try it after logging out?
One thing though, when I log out, I get a page displaying all cookies cleared, return to etc etc. Normally, I would then either log off the Internet, or go to another web-site. Is there a quick way of getting from the 'cookies cleared' display to the IE home page, or will it be OK to do the deleting with the above mentioned page still displaying?

I think you should log out. THen click the nest icon on your workbench with right mouse button and choos the Properties.The rest of steps to clear cookies like above. It is possible that cookies for the forum site weren't deleted as the foum site was in usage.

Last edited:
Fom Microsoft:
Possible causes of this problem are:

* The Web page includes an image type not supported by Internet Explorer.
* The Show Pictures check box is not selected on the Advanced tab of Internet Options dialog box or the Toggle Images.exe Web is used for images in Internet Explorer to disable.
* The image is displayed based on a script, ActiveX control, cookie, Java-based program or HTTP referral information. In addition to the computer or the network settings of a force or more of these functions block. Suppose you have Microsoft Internet Explorer or Norton Internet Security (NIS) or Norton Personal Firewall (NPF) 2002 Symantec Corporation configured to program one or more of these functions blocks.
* Internet Explorer can not determine the character (also called code page or encoding) is used on the webpage. It is also possible that a file or registry key required to display the Web page is missing or damaged. Internet Explorer will use the default character set specified in the HTTP server returned content type, or the character set specified by the meta element in the web document. If no HTTP content type the server is returned and no meta element is specified in the Web document, use Internet Explorer your Encoding preference.

I think you should log out. THen click the nest icon on your workbench with right mouse button and choos the Properties.The rest of steps to clear cookies like above. It is possible that cookies for the forum site weren't deleted as the foum site was in usage.
But I think it did.
Last one could be checked. Terry would have to had log in again if the cookie was deleted.

Wojtek, I'll log out and try again.
Marcel, thanks for that info. According to the set up, everything is set correctly. My images are uploading, and other users can see them, it's just that i can't open my pictures or anyone elses. the only things that have changed in the last 24 hours are my changing to Firefox, when I could still upload images which others could see, but were not showing in the 'Attached Images' box on my screen, and then changing back to IE, which was the updated version 8.
However, when I was uploading the set of 8 pics in my post, I accidentally clicked the right button on the mouse, and I don't know where the cursor was lying at the time. this was when the screen showed 'Attached mages' message, but no boxes for each image. I had to go back into 'manage Attachements' and upload again, when they appeared, eventually, in a set, on screen, instead of the usual block of, in this case, 8 boxes each with an 'X' which open when keying Shift + R.
I'm going to log out now and clear things again, so I'll be back in a couple of minutes or so. Thanks for all your help and suggestions so far.

Well, I've once again gone in and cleared everything as before, and there's still no change. I'll do it again, and shut down and re-start the computer this time.
But, I wasn't clear on which icon you suggested I should right-click on Wojtek - I did it via the 'Tools' button, and 'Internet Options'.
Baxck in a bit, after the computer rep-starts. Might take a few minutes, as every start up is delayed by spyware scans and so on!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back